We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pesos vs Dollars

Siesta Key, Florida
Level Contributor
281 posts
37 reviews
Pesos vs Dollars

I usually buy pesos in advance of traveling to Mexico because since the laws changed about money, it's just easier. When traveling to Cancun, it's usually no big deal, because it's like you're in Miami. Everyone speaks English and the USD is everywhere.

I still plan to buy my pesos before I go, but should I recommend it to the members of the group I'm traveling with? I know the Ixtapa/ZIH area is less commercial.

Any comments or suggestions regarding this topic are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

BC
Level Contributor
5,576 posts
201 reviews
31. Re: Pesos vs Dollars

Alegre, the peso to Cdn dollar exchange rate today is almost identical to what it was five years ago.

The main difference is that there has beens significant price inflation in Mexico and I've watched the price of the same item go up on every visit of mine over the past five years.

Another thing contributing to the much higher costs that Canadians face, is that in tourist areas so much of the accommodation is priced in USA dollars.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
12 reviews
32. Re: Pesos vs Dollars

Yet you still get a way better deal on your AI and Flight combination than is offered South of you.

Keith

austin,tx
Level Contributor
729 posts
21 reviews
33. Re: Pesos vs Dollars

In my many years going to Mexico, I always keep a few small US dollar bill 1,5,10's on me to tip when I firs get there before I get a chance to get pesos.

I use my ATM to get pesos. I usually get enough to last the time I'm there. Fortunately I have a MC that doesn't charge a foreign exchange fee when I charge items at restaurants,etc..

I was in Ixtapa for two weeks in November 2014. I spent most of my pesos while there and had about 30-50 US$ left when I came home. Since I know I'll be back I'll bring what I brought home with me next trip.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
104 reviews
34. Re: Pesos vs Dollars

New perfect bills, thanks TravelJudy that slipped my mind. We've certainly experienced it in the past. Is there a USD limit at the bank for exchanging, such as $500 USD?

35. Re: Pesos vs Dollars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2016, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa