We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entry req - travelling Canada then US then back to Canada

UK
Level Contributor
86 posts
47 reviews
Entry req - travelling Canada then US then back to Canada

Hi Folks, really for anyone recently doing this sort of trip. We are both UK Citizens, we are flying into Canada - doing the rockies, down to US to do Yellowstone - then back to Vancouver and flying back to UK so we will be dipping in and out of the US. As I understand it we don't need an ESTA but I am (sorry a little naive here) not sure what a 'machine readable' passport means. I have a microchip in mine but my husband doesn't as his was before this was included. Will he therefore need an ESTA but I won't? We both have bar codes on them which I am assuming is the machine checkable bit but just checking it doesn't just mean the chipped ones.

I wonder sometimes if border entries and tourist offices should pay people who answer Trip Advisor enquiries as it is such a useful forum and probably saves them lots of calls !!

Many thanks

Monica

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
26,049 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Entry req - travelling Canada then US then back to Canada

The bar code means it is machine readable.

How are you planning to enter the United States from Canada - flying or driving. If flying, I "think" you may need an ESTA. If driving you will need an I-94 Waiver, which is obtained at the border crossing. You will be required to fill out waiver form, be fingerprinted, and pay a fee of $6 USD. The I-94 form is attached to your passport, and when you re-enter Canada the form turned over to Canada border security.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2. Re: Entry req - travelling Canada then US then back to Canada

You need an ESTA if you are flying _into_ the US (from Canada or from elsewhere, that part doesn't matter). You don't need an ESTA if you're entering the US by land, even if you're later flying _out_ of the US.

That said, it can't hurt (other than the small fee) to get an ESTA via the official www.cbp.gov/esta site and it may speed up the process at the land border.

UK
Level Contributor
86 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: Entry req - travelling Canada then US then back to Canada

Many thanks - I've agree and I've decided to do this anyway as it looks like it speeds up the process through the borders. Coming over in August/September - first time - very excited :)

4. Re: Entry req - travelling Canada then US then back to Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 09:46