We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stand alone car insurance..

Grimsby, United...
11 posts
Stand alone car insurance..

Hi all,

I've hired a car for 3 days and am fully expecting once I pick it up to be offered the extra insurance that will protect us against any damage to the car howsoever caused. Quite common now for UK citizens to buy a cheaper stand alone insurance and in the event of something happening to the vehicle that is not covered by the standard insurance you pay for the damage and reclaim it through your insurance. Can be slightly time consuming by all accounts but is usually a lot cheaper than buying from car hire company. Is this something that is common place in Canada and if so are there any pitfalls that I need to be away of?

Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,561 posts
103 reviews
1. Re: Stand alone car insurance..

Hi Fishdockroad;

There are two similar types of coverage offered in Canada that I'm aware of, but nothing such as you describe.

1) Premium Canadian credit cards offer rental car coverage

2) A inexpensive car rental rider can be added to an annual car insurance policy.

If I may suggest...

Use a company called "Canadian Affair" for your rental. I understand that renting from them includes all insurance.

Best Regards

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
22,196 posts
132 reviews
2. Re: Stand alone car insurance..

If I am understanding your question correctly, you are planning to add insurance coverage to your own auto policy at home, to cover a rental car here in Canada ... which will then allow you to decline the expensive coverage offered by the rental car company.

The one pitfall of this is that if you do have a claim, then your auto insurance policy is likely to get more expensive, on an ongoing basis - your insurer will deem you a higher risk.

I have coverage through a premium credit card as well as my own auto policy. When I had a small claim on a rental car, I used the insurance coverage through my credit card for that claim. My own auto insurer has a policy of not raising rates after a single claim - but we had a major accident a couple of years ago that wrote off a vehicle, so if I were to make another claim, even a small one, our rates would increase. (Of course, we are now "stuck" with that insurer unless we want to pay a lot more with someone else ... we were not 100% happy with the way our claim was handled, but quotes we got afterwards with other insurers were MUCH higher.)

Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
609 reviews
3. Re: Stand alone car insurance..

The standalone rental car insurance is not common here. There are a few that offer such for rental cars. I know my provincial public insurer does offer such a scheme but I don't believe/am not sure that it is available to non-residents.

That said, you have to be careful of which insurer you buy from. Some are stickier than others. My sister buys from Amex in the U.K. but I don;t think she's ever made a claim.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,588 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Stand alone car insurance..

Car registration and insurance in Canada is mostly a provincial requirement so in BC it is a government run program but Alberta is private sectors so there not one answer fits all.

As mentioned Canadian Affair UK offer a comprehensive excess insurance package but there are not in all the markets so you need to see what they have for the place(s) you plan on visiting.

Reply to: Stand alone car insurance..
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted