We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International driving permit

Grimsby, United...
11 posts
International driving permit

Hi all,

I'm a UK citizen hiring a car on Victoria island BC in about 2 weeks time. Do I need an international driving permit please? Lots of posts on this forum but seems to be different advice from that that i'm reading on the UK government website.

Thanks in advance.

3 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,609 posts
66 reviews
1. Re: International driving permit

An International Driving Permit is designed to be a translation of a valid driver's licence that is not in English or French. I expect your valid UK driver's licence is in English, you are good to go.

psst. It's Vancouver Island. I know Queen V was a grand figure but she did not get that Island named after herself. Captain George Vancouver got the honour. A British Officer in the Royal Navy, in BC waters between 1791-95.

The idea is that if a foreign driver got into an emergency situation or an accident, first responders (police, ambulance, fire fighters), or police in a traffic violation of some kind, need to know who they are dealing with and as they would speak English and/or French here, they need to see an English version of the DL.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
26,049 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: International driving permit

You do not need one. An IDP is only required if your drivers license is in a language other than English or French. Since you are from the UK, your license is in English and is acceptable.

Grimsby, United...
11 posts
3. Re: International driving permit

Firstly my apologies to Captain George as I 'am of course referring to Vancouver island lol! And secondly, that was my understanding of it as well so thank you both very much.

Reply to: International driving permit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted