We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maligne Canyon vs Johnston Canyon

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Maligne Canyon vs Johnston Canyon

We are a party of 9 travelling from Vancouver to Banff. There are two families. Mine is 2 adults and 3 kids (17, 13, 9). The other family is 2 adults and 2 younger kids (5, 3).

We have one full day in Jasper, 2 days in Lake Louise and 10 days in Banff over Christmas and New Year's.

If we could only do one ice walk, which would you recommend - Maligne Canyon or Johnston Canyon and why? Also, would the little kids be able to participate at Johnston (Maligne is ages 8+)?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Narelle

Best Seller
Niagara Falls Canadian Side Tour and...
1,145 Reviews
from US$ 109.95*
Best Seller
Vancouver to Victoria and Butchart...
1,437 Reviews
from US$ 163.90*
Best Seller
Niagara Falls in One Day: Deluxe...
1,194 Reviews
from US$ 149.95*
4 replies to this topic
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,936 posts
113 reviews
1. Re: Maligne Canyon vs Johnston Canyon

You have unfortunately posted to the parent Canada forum which can be a lonely place. You would be far better off posting this on the Alberta Canadian Rockies forum as that is where you will get the best responses.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g65…

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,847 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: Maligne Canyon vs Johnston Canyon

Johnston Canyon is also 8+. https:/… I don't think it's realistic to expect pre-schoolers to stay quiet and listen during a 2 1/2 hour tour that covers over 5 km; also, it's likely not easy to find micro-spikes in sizes to fit boots that small. They do, however, offer private ice walks that say they are "all ages" - you could enquire about that for your group. They may be more willing to take younger children on one of those, because if there are any issues with the little ones that require cutting the tour short, it's only your group that is affected and not other clients.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Maligne Canyon vs Johnston Canyon

Thanks for the tip, Frommy. Will post in the Alberta Forum :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Maligne Canyon vs Johnston Canyon

krp329 thank you for your reply. I thought I had seen something about private tours being all ages, but couldn't remember where. I will look further into that.

Reply to: Maligne Canyon vs Johnston Canyon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted