We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rv or class b buying in canada

Les Paccots...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rv or class b buying in canada

Hello!

Me and my husband we want to do a trip from canada, all the west coast of usa and going down the east coast until Patagonia. We think going for a minimum a year and trying for summer times on the north and south america.

We thought to buy a Rv or class b in canada, but my question, can we sell it in south america the car or do we have to come back to canada to sell it?

Thanks for your time.

Peace!

Natalia

Best Seller
Niagara Falls Canadian Side Tour and...
1,012 Reviews
from US$ 109.95*
Best Seller
Vancouver to Victoria and Butchart...
1,392 Reviews
from US$ 164.50*
Best Seller
Niagara Falls in One Day: Deluxe...
1,054 Reviews
from US$ 149.95*
6 replies to this topic
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
81,701 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rv or class b buying in canada

Hi Natalia;

It is highly unlikely that Canadians will know the possibilities of selling a car in Patagonia.

Best Regards

Les Paccots...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rv or class b buying in canada

Thank you for your message. But do you know as a canadian, if you can sell your car out of the country?

Best regards

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,539 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rv or class b buying in canada

hi

you can buy it in BC with insurance coverage for Canada and US. Insurance is different in each province; in BC it is a government corp (ICBC) so you would have to contact them to see if it is even possible to get insurance for Mexico and further south. https://www.icbc.com/FAQ/Pages/Default.aspx

Very doubtful that you could sell it legally in South America so pretty much a write off or a loop back to Canada if you do not get it stolen first.

Canada and US exchange cars across the border; info is on ICBC site for exporting to US.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 18:32
Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,417 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rv or class b buying in canada

I suggest that you also do some research on the Darien Gap before planning too much more.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap

Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
590 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rv or class b buying in canada

I am going to hazard a guess that most RVs used in Canada (almost all from the U.S.) aren't rugged enough for South and Central American roads when the pavement runs out. I suspect you will also need import certificates to sell. Better to bring your own and bring it back.

I have seen (mostly) German, Dutch and French-plated RVs in Argentna.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,539 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rv or class b buying in canada

hi

the first hurdle should be looking at what visas you would need if you are going to be staying more then 90 days in Canada and/or the US.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Reply to: Rv or class b buying in canada
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted