We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rv or class b buying in canada

Les Paccots...
2 posts
1 review
Rv or class b buying in canada

Hello!

Me and my husband we want to do a trip from canada, all the west coast of usa and going down the east coast until Patagonia. We think going for a minimum a year and trying for summer times on the north and south america.

We thought to buy a Rv or class b in canada, but my question, can we sell it in south america the car or do we have to come back to canada to sell it?

Thanks for your time.

Peace!

Natalia

6 replies to this topic
West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,083 posts
103 reviews
1. Re: Rv or class b buying in canada

Hi Natalia;

It is highly unlikely that Canadians will know the possibilities of selling a car in Patagonia.

Best Regards

Les Paccots...
2 posts
1 review
2. Re: Rv or class b buying in canada

Thank you for your message. But do you know as a canadian, if you can sell your car out of the country?

Best regards

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,363 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Rv or class b buying in canada

hi

you can buy it in BC with insurance coverage for Canada and US. Insurance is different in each province; in BC it is a government corp (ICBC) so you would have to contact them to see if it is even possible to get insurance for Mexico and further south. https://www.icbc.com/FAQ/Pages/Default.aspx

Very doubtful that you could sell it legally in South America so pretty much a write off or a loop back to Canada if you do not get it stolen first.

Canada and US exchange cars across the border; info is on ICBC site for exporting to US.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 18:32
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
21,184 posts
113 reviews
4. Re: Rv or class b buying in canada

I suggest that you also do some research on the Darien Gap before planning too much more.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap

Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
608 reviews
5. Re: Rv or class b buying in canada

I am going to hazard a guess that most RVs used in Canada (almost all from the U.S.) aren't rugged enough for South and Central American roads when the pavement runs out. I suspect you will also need import certificates to sell. Better to bring your own and bring it back.

I have seen (mostly) German, Dutch and French-plated RVs in Argentna.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,363 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Rv or class b buying in canada

hi

the first hurdle should be looking at what visas you would need if you are going to be staying more then 90 days in Canada and/or the US.

Reply to: Rv or class b buying in canada
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted