We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day tour to monarch reserves

ottawa
Level Contributor
34 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Day tour to monarch reserves

We are looking for a day tour to one of the monarch butterfly reserves in early February, probably El Rosario. I found one option that looked good on Viator, but it appears the tour guide is not working during that period, or perhaps is no longer offering the service. Can anyone recommend another company or individual guide/driver that can provide this day tour?

Guadalupe Sanctuary
Sacred & Religious Sites
The Aqueduct
Points of Interest & Landmarks
13 replies to this topic
Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
236 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day tour to monarch reserves

I visited a couple of the reserves but we had a car.

I found a few tours using these search terms in Google. morelia tours mariposa monarca

ottawa
Level Contributor
34 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day tour to monarch reserves

Thank you. I will check these out.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day tour to monarch reserves

I think i have the Viator guide booked for Feb as that is when we are going. However another site i saw was toursbylocals.com and there was a guide offering tours you might want to check out.

Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day tour to monarch reserves

It would be better if you go and ask when you get there because the butterfly tour it happens when butterflys are mating there. They have

Tourist booths in the downtown by the cathedral and they should help you with all the tours they have

Columbus
Level Contributor
120 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day tour to monarch reserves

I have looked extensively for a tour from CDMX to the butterflies and back same day, but had no luck. Everything I found required an overnight stay, etc etc.

Wife is from Mexico and her B-I-L drives Uber as a living and agreed to take me to Reserves and back same day. I am paying for his service (2000 pesos), gas (~800 pesos), and casetas (tolls ~800 pesos).

I tried hard to find a tour to go with, but I had no luck. If you are interested, I can pass on his number to contact and make your own arrangements.

If anyone else finds a tour, please post it. I would love to find one.

If not, can you say BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY??

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
ottawa
Level Contributor
34 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day tour to monarch reserves

Thanks. Do you know if tours go every day and how far in advance they need to be booked? We will arrive in Morelia on a Saturday afternoon and will want to book the tour for the Monday.

Mentioned in this post
Morelia
Morelia
Michoacan, Mexico
7. Re: Day tour to monarch reserves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2018, 19:59

Ontario
Level Contributor
709 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day tour to monarch reserves

@8! How did things turn out ? We live just south of you near Winchester!

Ontario
Level Contributor
709 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day tour to monarch reserves

Oops. @ 6.! I am 8 !

ottawa
Level Contributor
34 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day tour to monarch reserves

We were able to arrange a day tour from Morelia easily, and it was worth it as a one-time experience. It was about a 2.5 to 3 hour drive to get to Sierra Chincua where you have the option of climbing the rest of the mountain or riding a horse most of the way. The climb is manageable if you are in reasonably good shape, but keep in mind that you are already at altitude when you start. If you have any doubts, take the horse -- that will give you more time to observe the butterflies when you arrive there. Another tip -- the lunch break with our tour guide (and I suspect most others) isn't until after you come back down the mountain after seeing the butterflies, so pack some snacks along with your water. It was a long day but we were glad to have done it.

Mentioned in this post
Morelia
Morelia
Michoacan, Mexico
Reply to: Day tour to monarch reserves
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Morelia
;