We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Shopping - Mega Supermercado (Supermarket) in SJD

deekay7272
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grocery Shopping - Mega Supermercado (Supermarket) in SJD

Hey all,

I'm headed to the Casa Del Mar Condos the week of July 2nd and will be buying food/drinks/snacks to stock our kitchen.

After doing research on where to shop, it appears Mega, located at the end of the airport toll road, is the way to go. So rather than pay my concierge $55 (plus the cost of the food) to go shopping for us , I'll just ask our driver to stop on the way to our hotel from the airport.

Here is the interesting news. I found out that Mega is owned by Comercial Mexicana, the largest supermarket chain in Mexico (I think). The company has established a website where you can buy groceries online and have them delivered to your home/condo/hotel. The service looks good. Big selection of items. Food, drinks, beer, liquor, medicine, etc., etc. Now for the really good news. The prices on these groceries seems very reasonable - AND THEY ONLY CHARGE $3.50 FOR DELIVERY!!!

So, as with all good things there are some challenges. One, the website is in spanish, which means it is pretty hard to navigate. Two, I have never used the service nor know of anyone who has. I was able to create an account (easy signup process) and pretend to shop around. Both of these challenges could be easy to get around if you speak spanish, or know someone who does, and have some faith in Mega and Comercial Mexicana.

If you want to check it out go to:

lacomer.com.mx/superc/jsp/LoginCliente.jsp

I hope this helps somebody out. I'm probably gonna stop by the Mega on the way into my hotel and then use the online service for restocking. Why not, it only cost a few bucks.

Oh yeah, they have an express delivery option to bring it to you in 90 minutes or less for an extra.........$1.00. HAHAHAHAHA!

Let me know if anyone has heard of or used this service.

Thanks,

DEEKAY

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Shopping - Mega Supermercado (Supermarket) in SJD

I wouldn't have thought that the grocery store would be full of timeshare sharks, but a couple at our resort went there and said they were everywhere. I was surprised to hear that. They were offered $400 to attend a talk, but they declined. I would've been tempted, I have no problem saying no at the end of the presentation. However, I didn't find out about this until our 2nd to last day there and had no time for the presentation.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Shopping - Mega Supermercado (Supermarket) in SJD

It's true timeshare sharks are everywhere. We were approached when we were in the Mega also. They are the customer service reps or managers in the orange vest. If you ask them a question it will end in a timeshare proposition.

deekay7272
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Shopping - Mega Supermercado (Supermarket) in SJD

Hey,

Do you guys think this grocery delivery service is just a front for selling more timeshares????? :)

4. Re: Grocery Shopping - Mega Supermercado (Supermarket) in SJD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 09:55