We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly fishing from the beach?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Fly fishing from the beach?

I've got a heavy duty fly rod and reel that I used for king Salmon in Alaska and wonder if anyone every fly fishes from the shore. If so I might bring it down and catch a little dinner.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
15,555 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly fishing from the beach?

Bwask...... Ive seen a few people fly fishing at PBSB and by the beach at Pedregal. Just fishing on the beach in the early morning and watching that sunrise is a great way to start the day ! You could always rent a Kayak and try your luck around Medano Beach.

Fly fishing the surf requires a very skilled fisherman. Good Luck!

Edited: 07 August 2012, 16:49
Upper Michigan
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly fishing from the beach?

You need a 10 foot rod to get it out past the breakers on the Pacific side. I fish the early morning before the sun rises and we use Cabo Killers from Jansen tackle in town. You can also rent surf casting equipment from Desperados which is like $25 - $35 per week and all the money goes to local charities. Just get in touch with TacCabo for all the details.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly fishing from the beach?

Neighbor, I have my fly rods in Cabo and have been meaning to use them on Medano in the am. The fish I've seen caugh off the beach are small enought for my rods (2 and 6 weight). I just need to figure out the flys to use.

I've also thought about a Kayak and fishing back into the beach, at least it will give you some room for false casts

I think you will kill yourself with the Cabo Killer

Next time we are there together, let's give it a try

Carl

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly fishing from the beach?

Sounds like a plan Carl, I'll bring my 9 foot 12 weight down, should be good for a marlin or two!

I like the Kayak idea also, that could be fun.

Central Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
4,647 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly fishing from the beach?

Never get a Cab Killer off the sand with a fly rod! All fun til somebody losses an eye!! LOL

6. Re: Fly fishing from the beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 12:46