We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency to use in Cabo

Vancouver
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
currency to use in Cabo

I know this has been asked many times, but is it worth taking both U.S dollars and pesos. With the peso to dollar exchange it makes more sense to use pesos. Do all restaurants in downtown and shops take pesos and/or US dollars. Do they give money back in pesos or in US dollars as well?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,703 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency to use in Cabo

Is it worth taking both? Personal choice. Since you're Canadian, I'd say skip the USD. But many Canadians bring USD and think in three currencies. (You may be just like us ... a ready stash of the 'other' currency for frequent over-the-border trips. I have Canadian dollars at home, ready for my next trip to Vancouver!)

Do all shops take both USD & pesos? Most of them.

Change? It used to be that you only got pesos for change. Now some places are giving back USD or a mix of USD & pesos.

Note: the one situation that we've heard about that prefers USD are the water-sports vendors. According to one of the locals, the vendors pay their moorage fees in USD, so they like to get USD for kayak, jetski, parasailing, etc. Then they can use the USD to pay their expenses.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency to use in Cabo

1 CAD or USD = roughly $13.70

If you tip $2.00 USD, that equals roughly $27.40 Pesos

If you tip $20.00 Pesos, that equals roughly $1.46 USD

(Figures from XE.com)

Of course some will say that they prefer USD, why wouldn't they? You are giving more money when you pay in USD.

I also found that some places would offer an exchange of $10.00 Pesos per $1.00 USD

I figure if you're going to foreign country, bring that country's currency.

Just my opinion.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency to use in Cabo

deleted double post

Edited: 22 May 2012, 02:29
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency to use in Cabo

We like to use Pesos whenever possible. Most of the Mexican staff folks work six days a week and I hate to think of them spending their off day at the bank changing US to Pesos. Us $$ still spends but as stated above you might not get a great exchange rate.

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency to use in Cabo

Unlike what Farmer said NEVER buy Pesos at home to bring, you will NOT get the best rate and will pay higher fees.....use USD for the first day till you can get Pesos at a BANK ATM, not those independant stand alone ATM's, they are a rip off...You can exchange money at the Cambio (money exhange) right downtown at theTesoro resort also. Check with your bank to see if they are affiliated with any Mexican Banks like Scotcia or Santander and then use their ATM's and you wont pay any fee's but if not associated your fee's will be minimal and you will get a better rate than anywhere in Canada or the US

6. Re: currency to use in Cabo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 14:12