We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip to La Paz...Questions Questions Question ;)

Cincinnati,OH
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Road trip to La Paz...Questions Questions Question ;)

So we are now planning the details of our road trip. For those who have done the trip to La Paz we have a few questions about the roads and stops we are looking to make. What are the road conditions like on HWY 1, all information I find is dated from about 2007-2009. There is a town Miraflores that is listed in some of the tours, what is there to see there? We want to stop by the zoo in Santiago but I cannot find any information on when it opens. In Los Barriles we are looking to stop and take a picture break, any suggestions of what else we should do in this town as well? We will stay the night in La Paz so any suggestions of places to see or eat would be great! The next day we will drive back to SJDC through Todos Santos. We know to see the Cathedral and Hotel California. Is there anything else to see? I have heard Art in Beer mentioned a few times, so we will stop there too. I noticed another town that has been mentioned, though not very often of La Candelaria. It is where ATVS go, but should we stop to tour on our road trip? Thanks for all the answers to my many questions ;) (Yes I am a details person..lol)

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,751 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip to La Paz...Questions Questions Question ;)

if you eat in TS, try the Cafe Santa Fe! EXCELLENT! truly!

Also, check out the Museo de Musica in El Triunfo! AMAZING if the wonderful pianist is there! Truly brings tears to your eyes he is so wonderful.

Hopefully Tyler or Marcie will see this, as they planned the last Road Trip and it was fantastic. They know all the great places to stop! Beautiful beaches, hidden gems, great restaurants..........they know them all. The road was great, with the exception of the construction coming back from TS............

LB-good food right off the Hwy at the ;Roadrunner.......and I'd recommend a drink at the Hotwl Pescadores, but it's a bit of a drive through LB.......give it a try if you have the time though! It is a delightful place, and I'd suggest spending the night there, but it wouldn't work for your schedule.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,751 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip to La Paz...Questions Questions Question ;)

Just bumping this up so you will get some replies that help!

Cincinnati,OH
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip to La Paz...Questions Questions Question ;)

Thank you SOO much! You along with others on this board have been a huge help in planning this trip ;) Thank you again!

liverpool
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip to La Paz...Questions Questions Question ;)

yeh im really intersted in this info too , brilliant road trip q's !

extra bumpage help the guy out lol

bump!

liverpool
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip to La Paz...Questions Questions Question ;)

last time i was in mexico i used IGO prog on my sat nav pna .

just thought it might help you on your travels

worked great in riviera maya and found lots of remote things easily

Edited: 04 August 2011, 20:45
cabo
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip to La Paz...Questions Questions Question ;)

Highway 1 is in pretty good shape and they´re doing a little roadwork in patches. I´d skip the zoo in Santiago personally. I was there a couple of years ago and it was a sad sight. Small cages and sickly looking animals. I know several have died since then. I heard there was talk about creating better living conditions and more vet services, but not sure if it got past the talking stage as I´ve never been back.

There is a great waterfall and small lagoon in Santiago that´s worth a visit. The hike is short but a bit strenuous, cost at the gate is around $5usd per person, depending on who´s watching the gate

Miraflores is a cute little town, but not much to see in my opinion, unless there´s a local festival going on. Might want to just drive through and stop if you feel like it

I agree with KatD about Roadrunner cafe in Los Barriles. It´s just at the entrance and they have delish home baked goods. I need to go back and try their french toast made from slices of their own big cinnamon rolls. For photo ops, follow the main road til it ends at the hotel, make a left and follow the winding road around. You can turn right on any number of dirt roads and hit the beach.

I´d make time to drive through El Triunfo. It is by far the most interesting town to spend a couple of hours along highway 1. Piano Museum, cute little mission style church, nice downtown area for wandering and a visit to the "Eiffel" tower foundry smokestack are musts. There´s a little cafe right downtown that makes fresh squeezed lemonade with actual yellow lemons! Don´t see that often in Mexico

In La Paz, I´d stay at any of the downtown hotels along the waterfront malecon. They´re all in the$50-$90 range per night. Great area for wandering around and people watching. Two fun taco places are El Bismarkito, strictly seafood and Ranch Viejo, good steak tacos, etc. Both very reasonably priced and on the malecon. Make sure you hit the main square and Mission church downtown and don´t skip a drive to the beaches to the north of La Paz. Just keep following the malecon out of town until you see signs for La Balandra and Tecolote. I´d visit both. There´s a fork in the road to each and only about 5 minutes apart

If you have time while in La Paz, a trip out to Espiritu Santo Island is amazing, but it will take up most of your morning. Great kayaking and snorkeling out there and a large sea lion colony

Highway 19 on your way back is a beautifully redone 4 lane highway from La Paz to Todos Santos, but under construction from TS back to Cabo. I still have to get to Art&Beer some day. My usual stop is at Cerritos beach club and lately another at Tibber´s beach at kilometer 85.

Have a great road trip!

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip to La Paz...Questions Questions Question ;)

Was at Santiago Zoo in January. Very small, but seemed pretty clean. Some animals seemed a bit sickly (especially the lion), but lots of beautiful birds and ostriches (should be lots of baby ostriches as there were lots of eggs, and a few other critters. Don't know if I'd make a special trip to see it. Also did Miraflores and Santiago (this was all on a "hidden villages" tour), and agree not much in Miraflores. Didn't get up to the waterfall in Santiago - they were working on road in front of pond and it was all mud. The tour company didn't know that was the status as less than a week before there had been no construction or indication of impending construction. Glad to see all the tips for LaPaz for my own future reference.

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,853 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip to La Paz...Questions Questions Question ;)

seriously Tyler, you haven't been to Art and Beer yet? Has Marcie?? What kind of tour guides are we working with here?? Did you get to Tibbers beach last week?? We always stop there on our way to Art and Beer....such a great place to relax....which doesn't seem to be on the itinerary when we are in Cabo anymroe. Gotta get back on the "chill out" vacation schedule one of these days......and Tooley needs to try it as well sometime. Don't see that happening though

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip to La Paz...Questions Questions Question ;)

My family and I stay at CostaBaja in La Paz and eat at Tres Virgenes at least once while we are there.

Summer time is actually great in La Paz and the surrounding beaches. A lot of tourist and locals out and about. The malecon (board walk) on the ocean is filled with people at sundown.

Costa Baja is just out of La Paz and is a newly renovated hotel with a great pool on the ocean.

Todos is really neat, but pretty shut down on Sundays. Go more later in the week. Lots of little art galleries and funky hotels that I love such as Casa Bentley, Rancho Pescadero, Hotelito.

When we take a trip out of town, we drive up from Cabo to Todos (stopping at Art & Beer), stay a night and then head over to La Paz, stay a few nights, then head down on the other side going east to Los Barriles and stay at Hotel Buena Vista (their water is from a hot spring=awesome) and then head down to Santiago (honey haven the right time of year and waterfalls). We head to San Jose del Cabo on a Thursday for Art Walk if possible and stay at Casa Natalia and have a beer at BBC.

I could go on and on, but go to go to bed. :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
142 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip to La Paz...Questions Questions Question ;)

Here are my notes:

1) From Cabo to LPZ on HWY1

- That highway has a lot of curves, you make sure to drive slow and carefully, you'll be just fine if you take precautions.

- Zoo? Please do not expect a San Diego zoo, Santiago's is a little tinny zoo but definetely something to visit as is merged in a colorful little town.

- Consider to add a stop at "El Triunfo" just 30 minutes after Los Barriles. This is an old minning town and you can still see the some of this plus they have a "museum of the music" exhibing an Bethoven Piano and some other interesting items.

2) When in La Paz

- Make sure you visit "Balandra" is a fantastic rock formation in the must beautifully calm bay... oh but if you're there after 6pm make sure you have repelent with you otherwise mosquitos will have you for dinner

- Strolling by "El Malecon" (Alvaro Obregon Avenue next to the bay) having an ice cream at "Michoacana" or enjoying an "agua fresca"

- How long time are you staying in La Paz? if you're staying a night there, make sure you visit "Coral Baja" just at the end of the 'El Malecon" and you can enjoy the most magical bay view in La Paz.

3) Way back to Cabo

- The first half you'll be just fine as the 4lines highway is almost done but the other half (passing Todos Santos) still under construction. Be patience and careful too. If possible dont drive during night as i noticed there are some signs missing, but once again, if you drive carefully you must be perfect.