We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we rent a car?

Buffalo, New York
7 posts
Save Topic
Should we rent a car?

My fiancee and I are going down to Cabo for our Honeymoon in July. We are staying at the Hilton, not sure where it is in relation to everything. We will be there for 10 days/9 nights. Should We rent a car, or should we just stick to taxis? If we should rent, which rental rental car companies do you recommend for the best value?

Thank you for all your feedback

southern California
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we rent a car?

Antonio w/ Alamo: amiranda@alamorentacar.com.mx

You may want to rent a car for at least a few days if you want to go into Cabo San Lucas.

Los Cabos Mexico
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we rent a car?

I would highly reccommend renting a car. It will make your holiday so great and give you the flexibilty to go to places that alot of people don't get the chance to see.

Payless is a good one but most of them in Cabo are standard and you won't have any problems. I love it when people come to Cabo and rent a car to explore. The Hilton is about 15 minutes driving to downtown Cabo.. 10 minutes to San Jose. Have fun...

Cabo John

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we rent a car?

We like the freedom to come and go when and where we want without worrying about a bus schedule or finding a taxi--and taxis will be expensive from the Hilton. There are lots of threads on this forum about car rental, probably more information than you even want. :)

Level Contributor
47,273 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we rent a car?

Normally I say no about renting a car especially if it is your first trip to Mexico.

But 10 days is a long trip and the Hilton is not near things. so in your situation yes I would consider renting a car for at least some, if not all, of the time. Los Cabos is a very spread out area compared to many other resort destinations.

Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we rent a car?

Suzy, curious - why would you say no on first trip to Cabo?? I wouldn't want to be stranded on the corridor.

Most places we go, it is our first trip, and there may not be a second. We almost always rent a car.

Level Contributor
2,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we rent a car?

rent a car......driving is Cabo is no problem. If you have a car, you have the freedome to come and go as you please and explore the region. Taxi's are expensive in Cabo. When you go into Cabo, parking is limited. I would park in the large mall parking structure.

We usually use alamo or Usave for our car rental needs. I would advise you take pictures of any damage to the car before you leave the rental agency for your own protection. We have heard that some car rental agencies in Mexico (cancun & Mazatlan) are running scams trying to get renters to pay for pre existing damage. No worries if you take the full coverage insurance.

Cabo Nut

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
232 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we rent a car?

Don't take taxis from the Hilton, the cost to either town will add up quickly. I agree with the others about renting a car. If you don't want to rent a car for the entire time, take the bus. It picks up and drops off right in front of the hotel. Very cheap and easy to use.

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,762 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we rent a car?

Here is a great website with lots of info. Take the time to go through the wiki map. You can get your bearings.

Also Dominic is highly recommended for a car rental..no hassles..

Put his name in the search bar.

9. Re: Should we rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2010, 11:52
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question