We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

california
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

Just wondering if anyone was recently in Cabo could comment on "safety" given all the media attention on the violence, etc. Not due to go until May but just wondered about traveling by Taxi to and from the Sheraton, and overall safety right now. Thanks

California
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

There is something disturbing about being blind to our American cities very high murder rate, including innocents being mowed down on military bases, in schools, at malls and then being worried about murder in Cabo which has virtually no murder.

I don't get it.

I don't understand the geographical ignorance about our neighbor, Mexico.

And it isn't the fault of news, at least not the news I read. The news is clear. They are reporting a very serious problem.

I believe it was 17 that were killed in Acapulco.

Maybe if it gets bad enough we will give up and end the war on drugs since mainly what its' done is make drug lords in Latin America rich and powerful and fund the Taliban and Al Qaeda, etc....while addiction rates continue to climb in the US.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,644 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

Very well put. And about the 17 in ACA. I believe 15 of them were the bad guys.

Its the same everywhere you look. Mexico as a whole, has its share of problems, as do countries North. With a Population over 100,000,000 people, and a lot that live in poverty, there is crime and violence just like the US. It's just that the Govt. does a great job, protecting Tourists Cities and Areas of Interest. The same as US law enforcement protects Disney World from Orlando Crime. Can you imaging if that area was left on its own? Almost all Sporting venues in the USA/Canada are armed with security. The same safety is implemented for Tourist areas in Mexico. Gang crime in the USA, Cartel Crime in Mexico. One Brings it in, One distributes it. Supply and Demand. How many Tourists has the Media reported not making their flight back home from Mexico due to direct Drug Cartel Violence? Just a handful out of Millions visitor's over the years.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

I agree about American blindness to the violence in the U.S.

Even though I was writing about Rosarito/Tijuana/Ensenada, please see my response and the video link under "Car Rentals in Rosarito." I think the video news report does a good job of putting some perspective on the violence.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

Imzerbe...take a look at the post "my family needs to chill out" there is some good info.

Washingtonville, NY
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

First of all, my husband is in law enforcement, so the murdering of police officers took him back, wondering if he would be a target.

Second of all, you're just not getting it. I'm not debating that there's violence and gang problems everywhere. My problem is that there is a travel advisory about traveling to Mexico and people are asking if Cabo is safe, and the responses start off telling that Cabo is not affected by the violence, and then turns into people mocking them for even asking the question at all. The mocking is not necessary.

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
973 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

Jenn-I am also married to a cop.

I tend to stay out of these conversations as well- as there are many...but since you threw it out there...how in THEE world would anyone know your husband is a cop in Mexico and target him?

There is just no possible way. Unless he goes around telling everyone that he's a cop, which is insane to do ANYWHERE, I don't know how anyone would know.

This is ALL drug related. No one is walking into hotel zone guns blazing in any of these events.

The event in Acapulco actually happened up in the hills where people rent/own high dollar mansions. It was a drug related shootout with police. It did not happen at the pool of the holiday inn.

Yes, it is unfortunate that police officers were killed and those of us in the "family" mourn the loss of an officer-in any state or country, but there is just no need for the mass hysteria.

I assure you, my husband and I have been traveling for years to cabo with our two young daughters...and have never once felt unsafe. We leave 1 week from today for 12 days in beautiful Cabo San Lucas...and you know what? I'm safer there than I am in california.

Edited: 18 March 2010, 20:33
California
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

Jenn, you say the point we miss is that there is a travel advisory to Mexico, as there should be considering events. But Jenn, if you read the travel advisory it is very clear and does not concern Cabo.

People are not coming on TA is ask about travel to border towns or even Acapulco, both of which are 1000 miles away...separated by torturous roads and large bodies of water...they come to ask about Cabo.

We repeatedly point this out and that is not derision. Some want to get back to talking about the fun of Cabo, and you can't blame them for that.

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,126 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

I don't think anyone is mocking anyone. The entire country of Mexico does not have a travel advisory. There is an advisory for the border towns. That is all we have been trying to say. Cabo is no where near a border.

California
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

Jenn, if there was a travel advisory for Cabo, then us playing it down would be "dismissive". There is no travel advisory warning for Cabo.

Mexico is a big country, as it the US. New York City is a far cry from Topeka, Kansas. Billings, Montana is another world from Richmond, California.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

Jenn, I understand where you are coming from. The media lumps all of Mexico under a travel advisory, not specific areas. So what the majority of people will hear is that Mexico is not safe. How many people just for the fact of knowing, are really going to do more research to find out where specifically the violence is occurring. It is the travelers job to do their research and find out the specifics, such as coming on tripadvisor to ask this question. I do agree that sometimes we get a bit defensive and to be honest a little snappy regarding this question but I do think the majority of the posts on this thread have provided some facts and info. on the topic without criticism. Most are more than happy to help provide a poster with answers so they too can enjoy a place that we all love.

The darn media these days!!! When the swine flu hit they neglected to mention that there wasn't a single case reported in all of Baja. Thousands cancelled their trips to Cabo. It was difficult to monitor the "real" facts when this hit, no one really knew how this would pan out. I definitely did contemplate canceling because of the unknown "pandemic virus"...(whatever happen to the old swine flu anyway??). We followed the links provided by people here on TA and were able to get some local information and didn't think twice about going. We were on a 737 out of Seattle with only 30 people on it last May because of this "outbreak".

Violence and safety issues are easier to monitor by statistics. Here is one site that may be helpful.

U.S. dept of state travel warning defined:

bajainsider.com/baja-california-travel/mexic…

Yes, the killing of 6 police officers here in Seattle in a span of 6 months was gut -wrenchly tragic (father is retired police chief) but I doubt it had any impact on tourism to the Seattle area.

Edited: 18 March 2010, 21:20