We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

california
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

Just wondering if anyone was recently in Cabo could comment on "safety" given all the media attention on the violence, etc. Not due to go until May but just wondered about traveling by Taxi to and from the Sheraton, and overall safety right now. Thanks

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
16,203 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

Wow.... We get this question all the time. You are closer to the violence in California than when you are in Cabo. C'Mon down its great!

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas, Alaska
Level Contributor
5,231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

lately more than ever, with all the press the subject has gotten lately. Scan the recent threads, there have been a couple discussions, mostly saying the same thing...Cabo is safe:)

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,638 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

Well, some folks think the taxi group is too powerful ~ high prices, "encouraging" resorts to deal only with them for return trips (not allowing guests to use a shuttle service), and such, but I think we feel safe. Best to ask for a taxi with seat belts and air conditioning (hotter in May.)

The best transport from the airport is not in a taxi. Shared: CaboSanLucasTours. Private: Arturo or Adrian. contact info here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g152515-c129424/Cabo-…

You can also feel safe using the SuburCabos bus running along the highway for cheaper transport into Cabo San Lucas or into San Jose Del Cabo from the Sheraton.

California
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

There is a serious drug cartel problem along the border as drug lords vie to corner their USA market. They think the reason for the uptick in violence is response to Mexican presidents increased attention and forces to combat the problem.

Cabo is 1000 miles from these border towns. I live in Northern California so that puts me at about 600 miles from the violence.

When you read those news reports read them closely because usually they point out that these are US/Mexican border towns.

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,678 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

The events you are hearing about in the media have absolutely nothing to do with and the events are nowhere near Cabo San Lucas. Everyone has to make up their own minds about this kind of question, but for me YES I think it is safe to go to Cabo right now (I probably wouldn't make a road trip out of it driving thru border towns, but flying in is OK). -suze

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

Will one of you DE folks ask TA to pin this in the FAQ section? It is becoming a frequently asked question given the news lately.

Los Cabos Mexico
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

Bring the family here.. no problems at all except a sunburn if you don't be carefull

Cabo John

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,638 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

The DEs can add this topic to the Top Questions, if they choose. TripAdvisor moderators don't need to help. But they would need to help if the DEs want this forum to have a sticky (push-pin message) at the top of the forum.

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

Just look at a map and measure the distance people! The sky is not falling . Quote the Chicken Little.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to go to cabo right now?

Yes...there are several threads on this already, let's get on with questions about sun, beaches, drinks etc. The really important stuff!