We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cabo water taxis

San Diego
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
cabo water taxis

How do the water taxis work in cabo...I heard you can take one from the Marina and get off at Medano beach, but how is that possible with the waves/current? Is the water calm at Medano beach? Do the taxis let you off in front of any resort or just one area? Any info greatly appreciated? thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,791 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Hemet, California
Level Contributor
667 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: cabo water taxis

the water taxis are not that easy to get out of and you are getting out in the water.. It takes a little skill and a flipflop can get stuck in the sand and some have fallen.. The boat will move with the waves..Taxis on land will go wherever you request them to take you.

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cabo water taxis

There are designated places where the water taxis will let you off on Medano because they can only go in between the roped off swimming areas. It is ususally easier to jump off the boats than to get back on. You will be in a foot or 2 of water so you have to really time when the boat is coming down from the waves and not going back up. There will be locals on the beach to help you in and out- they will be expecting a tip if you allow them to help you.

If you think this will be difficult for anyone in your party or you don't want to get wet, you can take a regular taxi to Medano beach as well.

Mentioned in this post
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,791 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
17,374 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cabo water taxis

There are some good photos of the water taxis that were posted. The Medano beach water is like any tidal water. Sometimes its rough, Sometimes its calm. If you are young and spry it can be easy. Or it can be an adventure. Its one of those things that you have to decide when you see the conditions.

Mentioned in this post
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,791 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,185 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cabo water taxis

I walked along the beach several times trying to get a good photo of folks climbing in or out of water taxis. This is my best one: …google.com/PNWFamily/…5331082573203192626 Here is someone else's photo, showing the rope line behind the water taxi where folks swim: …webshots.com/156/9/14/69/252991469001445180… If you tell the water taxi "driver" where you want to go, he'll know the closest spot to drop you off.

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
667 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: cabo water taxis

HH - yes that was exactly the photo I was thinking of when I wrote my reply ;) I did the water taxi once and I was not to graceful getting our//We chose to walk back to Playa Grande :)

Mentioned in this post
Playa Grande Resort
Playa Grande Resort
4,341 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
San Diego
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cabo water taxis

Thanks everone for the replies. I was hoping to use a water taxi instead of land taxi because I have a young child and a car seat issue...that I wanted to avoid. Is Medano beach far from where the ship lets you off...does anyhone know? Also, what are the land taxis like...do they have seat belts? The ones in TJ (when I was young...didn't). I was hopting to find a van to take many passengers too...don't know what the heck they have...thannks again.

Mentioned in this post
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,791 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cabo water taxis

The taxis are all large vans, some have seatbelts, some don't. You can ask for one that does. IMO with a young child it would be much safer in a regular taxi than a water taxi. The picture posted was a great example but often the boat does not get that close to shore and you have to get off and on in the water.

I would say it would be about a 30-45 minute walk from the tender pier(I am assuming you are coming in from a cruise ship) to walk to the heart of Medano beach with a child.

Mentioned in this post
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,791 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Hemet, California
Level Contributor
667 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: cabo water taxis

As far as traveling with a car seat. I am not sure of your child's age, I brought my 3 year old with us and I placed him on my lap or may have sat in the middle of my husband and I with a lap belt and did not use a car seat when going from the airport to our hotel..the drive is short from the marina to Medano.. It may be safer with a car seat only if they are able to be attached in the van under safety specifications but IMO I felt OK with the drive to not use a car seat..there is not any laws regarding this in Mexico as far as I know.

Mentioned in this post
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,791 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
9. Re: cabo water taxis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 11:48