We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stuck at airport for two hours upon arrival...HELP!

Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Stuck at airport for two hours upon arrival...HELP!

You know, no matter how well you plan a trip there is always something waiting to throw a curve ball at you. Planned our Cabo trip with our west coast friends back in February with us arriving only four minutes apart. Now due to an airline schedule change, their flight doesn't arrive until two hours after ours. So tell me dear TA's, what is there to do at the airport other than dodging the timeshare sharks and twiddling our thumbs? Can we use the departure lounge bar and restaurants or will customs kick us out? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
La Casona
₹₹₹₹, Seafood, Steakhouse
Sunset Point
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Italian, Pizza, Wine Bar
El Peregrino
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Mexican, Steakhouse, Seafood
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,448 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stuck at airport for two hours upon arrival...HELP!

Why not go ahead on to your hotel/resort & meet your friends there?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Stuck at airport for two hours upon arrival...HELP!

I actually second this question. I have a buddy arriving 1 hour after us and I am wondering what to do to kill the time. We will definitely spend our initial time getting our rental car, but there may be time left over to kill. Are there any short term parking lots at the airport at which to park our car while we wait for his arrival? Is there anywhere to wait (e.g. a restaurant) inside the terminals?

We have to wait because we're all driving down to our hotel in the same rental car.

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stuck at airport for two hours upon arrival...HELP!

Depending on which terminal you arrive in (1 or 3), there will be a little resturant or bar to sit and get a drink. The 2 terminals are quite a ways apart as well, not in the same building like most airports but in an entirly different building. If the OP is not renting a car, I agree it would be easier to meet your friends at the resort.

Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stuck at airport for two hours upon arrival...HELP!

Thanks for the help househunter. We arrive on Continental so I don't know what terminal that is. Two reasons why wait. First, we already made arrangements with Arturo of Translobo to pick up the four of us. Second and most important, we are going to Cabo to party together and it would be impolite to start without them!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,328 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stuck at airport for two hours upon arrival...HELP!

If you're arriving at two separate terminals, why not just wait in the departure section of your terminal where you can find a table and a bite to eat. Have Translobo meet you at your terminal right before the second party is due to arrive. They can pick you and your luggage up, then drive over to the next terminal and pick them up as they are arriving.

It's not that big of a deal... we've done it a few times. The time goes pretty quickly.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
16,891 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stuck at airport for two hours upon arrival...HELP!

You could also cab yourself and luggage over to the other terminal and wait at the bar/restaurant. Both terminal 1 and 3 are small. The terminals are close to each other. But not walkable with luggage.

Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stuck at airport for two hours upon arrival...HELP!

DM- will the airport officials allow us to remain in the departure terminal? Most airports I have arrived in whether stateside or out of country seperate international arriving passengers from the departing ones. From my past experiences in Cancun and Mexico City there are physical barriers and arriving passengers have to go to immigration and customs then out the door. Are there cafes at the checkin counters before passengers have to go thru security screening?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,188 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stuck at airport for two hours upon arrival...HELP!

Here is a map of the airport: bajainsider.com/baja-maps/cabo-san-lucas-air…

Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stuck at airport for two hours upon arrival...HELP!

Thanks for the map. At least know now that we all arrive at the same terminal. That will make it easier!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,371 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stuck at airport for two hours upon arrival...HELP!

I have waited for a friend, and it's not bad, but it was only an hour. With the 2 hour delay, and then customs, I'd be tempted to go on and let them come in on their own, especially if they've been before. If not, yep-just grab a bite to eat and enjoy people watching for the time you wait. ENJOY!