We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report June 8-15.. kind of long, sorry.

Lewisville, ID
Level Contributor
81 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report June 8-15.. kind of long, sorry.

Hi all, thanks to all of the advice we had a great stay. 10 of us from Idaho flew down to Cabo via Boise (Alaska Air) and stayed at the Hacienda Del Mar Vacation Club. Cabo Transfers was there to shuttle 10 of us to and from the airport. They had great service and it was only $165 for 10 of us round trip. Highly recommended.

The Hacienda Del Mar was such a beautiful property with awesome pools, flawless landscaping and the prettiest ocean views around.

We had 3 units: 1 studio & 2-1 bedroom units. They were really clean units and all had a partial ocean view. The service was really great, everyone was super friendly and willing to do just about anything to make your stay great. We bought some food at wal mart at the beginning of the week and were able to have most breakfasts, snacks and drinks from our room which saved a bunch.

We ate some at the resort restaurants: Girasoles & Tomatoes, which for the price, were marginal at best. The best food we got was downtown. Up the street from Billygans are a few really great taco stands that had fish tacos and tamales... so good. We went to Macumbos for seafood one night and it was great. We also had some really good tacos all wrapped up to go from a great taco stand which I don't remember the name of. We ate breakfast at Baja Cantina on the Pier and it is very highly recommended. I had the Chef's mess omelette and it was so good, and a great price.

We did the EcoCat snorkel tour one day which was really well put together, horrible food, but really fun and relaxing. My husband and 6 others went fishing with a really reputable company and no one caught anything. 8 hours at sea and nothing to show for it. That's the risk you take, I guess.

The taxi fare to and from town started to get old, but with 10 of us we usually got round trip trans. for $10 per person. We went to the Gigglin Marlin one night and ended up leaving early because of the way they were screwing us on the exchange. We would pay in U.S. dollars and they would give us back some u.s. and some mexican which ended up being like 5 to 1 exchange. We also tried paying with pesos which they gave us change in pesos and american being a horrible exchange as well. We complained to the manager and he threw 200 pesos at us and told us to get out. We were all pretty furious, and clearly not drunk enough to be taken advantage of by sketchy night clubs.

Other than that little run in the vacation was perfect, relaxing, beautiful and I can see why so many of you in this forum have fallen in love with Cabo. I never for a moment felt unsafe. There was absolutely no sign of flu. Most people were very friendly and the service was great everywhere. Sorry I didn't make it to any meetups as I was a little too tipsy to find the place, quite frankly.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Hacienda del Mar Los Cabos
Hacienda del Mar Los...
2,475 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Baja Cantina
Baja Cantina
637 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
La Casona
₹₹₹₹, Seafood, Steakhouse
Sunset Point
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Italian, Pizza, Wine Bar
El Peregrino
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Mexican, Steakhouse, Seafood
Manhattan, Kansas
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report June 8-15.. kind of long, sorry.

Sounds like you had a good trip. I stayed at the Hacienda Del Mar last year and it was awesome!.Great service and staff!

Mentioned in this post
Hacienda del Mar Los Cabos
Hacienda del Mar Los...
2,475 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
16,870 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report June 8-15.. kind of long, sorry.

The Trip reports can never be long enough! We love hearing about everything. Plus there are lots of people lurking out there that count on some of this info for their upcoming trip. So please give all the places you have been that you like and dont like. Thanks for your input. And how about posting some photos?!!!!

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,047 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report June 8-15.. kind of long, sorry.

Sounds like a great vacation, and with 10 people it can be a challenge. Well, except for the Giggling Marlin issue, but you took it well. It's not one of my favorite places anyway. Another reason to exchange your US for pesos once you arrive, either at your resort (not the best exchange, but better the GM obviously) or at the cambia next to Tesoro. Glad TA could help you line out your trip and hope you will stay on and help other new travelers like it helped you.

I think we have only been skunked once on a fishing/boating expedition, and it was with a co. I can't even remember the name, but a timeshare "perk" for the tour. We even bought extra bait and the guy only changed bait once. We have since learned better. Glad it didn't ruin your trip tho. Hope you make it back in the future......

Mentioned in this post
Giggling Marlin
Giggling Marlin
273 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Tesoro Los Cabos
Tesoro Los Cabos
2,165 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Los Cabos
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report June 8-15.. kind of long, sorry.

Yep, Cabo is addicting!

I have been visiting/living in Cabo for over 10 years and have never been to the Giggling Marlin. I don't feel I've missed out on anything.

Didn't I see you at the HDM owner's party on Tusdsay night. I think I did, and yes, you were having fun!

Come back soon!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Giggling Marlin
Giggling Marlin
273 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Boston
Level Contributor
604 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report June 8-15.. kind of long, sorry.

I love reading trip reports...they can never be too long!

I'm glad you had a great trip. Sorry about the Giggling Marlin but it sounds like you took it well and believe me there are much better places in Cabo to spend your money!

That stinks your husband didn't catch anything :(

Did you take any pictures?

Mentioned in this post
Giggling Marlin
Giggling Marlin
273 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Boston
Level Contributor
604 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report June 8-15.. kind of long, sorry.

LOL..I'm sure you took pictures..I meant to type do you have any pictures to post!

7. Re: Trip Report June 8-15.. kind of long, sorry.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 11:47