We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regarding the Lion Cubs (cats/jaguars) and what we can do:

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Regarding the Lion Cubs (cats/jaguars) and what we can do:

I received this information from PETA. The best we can do is to bring awareness by way of informing people of what is happening. This forum is a good place to do that, we can also write to the Ambassador, below is his name and address.

Write to the Ambassador as well, and ask your friends and family to do the same. Tell him that the laws must be strengthened to protect animals. Public pressure can and does make a difference, so every letter is important! Contact: His Excellency Icaza Carlos, Embassy of Mexico, 2827 16th St. NW., Washington, DC 20009, fax: 202-234-4498, mexembusa@sre.gob.mx

We should also ask travelers not to patronize animal displays while vacationing. I have 3 phamplets that are in spanish if anyone is interested in them PM me and I will send them to you, I am taking a package with me to Cabo- not so much for americans visiting but to pass out to those who are working the cubs roadside display.

Thanks, Lynn

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,870 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Regarding the Lion Cubs (cats/jaguars) and what we can do:

Thank you so much, Lynn. This is great info!!!!

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,500 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Regarding the Lion Cubs (cats/jaguars) and what we can do:

Great info Lynn.

I wonder if the Cabo Animal Shelter is involved at all. I am sure they know about this problem. You will be in contact with them when you are in Cabo, right? Maybe they can shed some light on what we can do.

Out in the colonies it is common to see dogs and cats in very poor condition. One of the hardest parts for me, hanging out there alot, is to see this. There is a different mentality regarding "pets" then what we have in the states. Very hard but I know there are folks in Cabo that are really trying to educate the people on the importance of spaying and nuetering. I think it is a little overwhelming because there are so many of them roaming around.

TX
Level Contributor
5,735 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Regarding the Lion Cubs (cats/jaguars) and what we can do:

Thank you Lynn, and bless you!

A number of months ago, I emailed the editor of the Gringo Gazette and asked if she could give me any further info on this matter, or direct me to past articles. I received a very brief reply, stating basically that "this is their country, there's nothing we can do." Or words to that same effect. I just have a difficult time believing and accepting that where the abuse of innocent beings is concerned, there's really "nothing" that people do, regardless of "who's country" it is.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Regarding the Lion Cubs (cats/jaguars) and what we can do:

I think it is great that you are trying to do something! It is unfortunate that PETA, GP and other animal right activists can't do much. Many will not get involed in countries such as Mexico. In the US or Canada, if you protest or chain yourself to a tree or whatever to make a statement you or are told to move on or get a fine. If you refuse you get locked up and get out in hours or even sooner. In Mexico and some other countries, you may get locked up for who knows how long or beat up or disapear all together! Sometimes the best thing to do is to just stay away from the so called exibits and don't give them your money. Unfortunately there is not too much you can do but I guess every bit counts and you are on the right track. Just be careful whetre you hand out your panphlets.

Larry

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Regarding the Lion Cubs (cats/jaguars) and what we can do:

In our media driven society, perhaps someone could write to one of the multitude of 20/20 type shows to investigate....where is our resident writer......needinsun are you there :)??

As far as the gringo gazette....Im sure YM has some choice words about who is running that outfit.... I think that is a complete asinine answer. So we should just all turn a blind eye to any type of problems or concerns we have in a foreign country because it is a foreign country and there is nothing we can do? I dont accpet that answer. I have only walked by the lion exhibit once and like a dead animal on the highway, I just couldnt look! Spreading the word is a great start.

TX
Level Contributor
5,735 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Regarding the Lion Cubs (cats/jaguars) and what we can do:

Regarding the Gringo Gazette response that I received, I actually perceived it as being quite terse. Then again, I guess I'm lucky to have gotten a response at all. Still, I was surprised at the overall unfriendly tone with which it was delivered.

Oh well.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,187 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Regarding the Lion Cubs (cats/jaguars) and what we can do:

I think I read somewhere that the local animal shelter did get involved... well, sort of. They took in a couple of the cubs that ended up dying because they were so far gone by the time they got there. Apparently there have already been a lot of complaints from tourists, but the local authorities either cannot or will not do anything about it.

I seriously doubt handing out pamphlets to any locals will do any good and will likely irritate them (foreigners butting into their business). However, there's nothing wrong with educating the people who walk around the marina, especially the cruise ship folks who probably make up a significant majority of the "Cabos Wild" customers.

Having said that, be sure you know the local law because if you break it, it'll be you that's hauled off to jail, not the vendors with the cubs! Be careful...

Kodiak Island...
Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Regarding the Lion Cubs (cats/jaguars) and what we can do:

Smrbrz-

I'm around - just haven't had much time to do more than read a few posts.

Writing to one of the investigative shows is an option, although I wonder if it would make an impact. I think if we were to address to overall issue of animal safety/abuse in Mexico and make a concerted effort to make the Ambassador aware, it might help.

I'm thinking not only of the lion cubs (which are obviously being imported from somewhere) but also the boats that approach whales and other marine mammals to closely, etc.

Sadly, while I believe wholeheartedly that the animals should be protected, causes such as these are often reserved for the more fortunate countries such as the US. Many of the populations of our third world countries are too busy trying to keep themselves alive and do not have the time or resources to devote to other endeavors.

However, that's not to say that it can't be done. Look at the efforts being made to extinguish poaching in Africa. I think we need to find a way to appeal to the Mexican government as a whole in a way that speaks to their concern for their country. Will continued abuse of animals like the aforementioned cases eventually lead to a decline in their much-needed tourist industry? Would improving the laws and populations of their wild animals have a direct or indirect affect on the daily lives of their citizens?

These are the types of concerns that will get the government to stand up and take notice of the problems.

I don't know if I've confused or helped. If you want me to write someone, I certainly will. I think whatever we do needs to be a concentrated effort though.

My job involves natural resource conservation and while we'd like to imagine that the protection of our resources is simply a logistical and straightforward approach, it is one of the most politically fraught fields I've ever encountered.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Regarding the Lion Cubs (cats/jaguars) and what we can do:

Lyndi, As far as the lion cubs go the animal shelter does know about them but there hands are tied- they can't do any thing about. I think there has been good improvement in Cabo with the animals (cats/dogs) and how people do look at them, yet it is sad to see family pets looking hungry or sick. I will ask the shelter about what work they are doing within the colonies, I know they do education in the schools. All the money they get is from donations. I will find out the cost for spaying/neutering who knows if a colony has 3 puppies that need to get fixed could we all pitch in? It's a thought.

In regards to writting a letter, I wanted to share the information for those who would like to write and express your concern. I agree it is a long upward road especially in Mexico where families worry about feeding the kids let alone a cat or dog. The animals can't talk for themselves they need advoates! Thanks all!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Regarding the Lion Cubs (cats/jaguars) and what we can do:

I agree that animal rights and protection is generally an issue for the first world or more priviledged countries (sad but true). Governments of thrid world countries do have more pertinent issues to deal with such as poverty and health and may not even provide a repsonse to anyone who writes regarding animal neglect/abuse.

Speaking specifically of the lion cub issue, this operation is poised as a tourist attraction and exists on tourist money in a place we all know and love, Cabo. If tourists are aware of the abuse than hopefully, they will not fall for the alleged "save the lion cub" operation.

If posting this thread helps dissuade even a few visitors from donating money to this operation, its a start.

It was wishful thinking that a news based program might venture away from reporting who Paris is dating this week and cover a story such as animals being exploited all over the world in tourist areas.....

Sometimes I pop over to the Greece forum (just dreaming) and the main destination expert for santorini is always discouraging tourists from using the donkeys who are sadly overworked, underfed and not very cared for.

If only I had Paul Allens money.......(incidentally he does donate a large amount to Paws)....