We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacationing with toddler

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
126 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Vacationing with toddler

Any suggestions? I will be there end of August. Will be staying at Club Casa Dorada Beach & Golf Resort. Have choice of all inclusive or not. What would you do?

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,749 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacationing with toddler

Personally, I would not do AI. There are so many good places to eat! While we eat frequently at our resort, we do have the obligatory places we want to pop into.

california
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacationing with toddler

There a few things that will depend on your situation.

1. are you going to have a car?

2. is your toddle a cranky child?

3. Are you familiar with Cabo in August?

First of all, Great choice on the Hotel! It is truly a beautiful place. the Main pool is absolutely gorgeous and you will think you are in paradise, trust me on this one. The Casa Dorada is NOT in Cabo but rather out on the corridor between Cabo san lucas and San Jose del Cabo. My best guess is approx" 12-14 miles from cabo san Lucas. If you have a Car, no big deal. If you do not, plan on spending $14 or more into town and $14 back to the resort. There is good public transportation but you have to get to the highway. At the end of August with a Cranky child?, in 100+ degree heat and 90-100% humidity the the walk would seem like a triathalon. I have heard mixed reviews on the food but it was very good each time I stayed there (11 times there in all) I would opt for the all inclusive package in your situation but that is one man's opinon. Also, I would look at getting some type of trip insurance for inclement weather. (August hurricanes do happen here) Have a good trip.

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
126 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacationing with toddler

Thanks for your reply. My baby travels well. We love to travel and he goes everywhere we go. I hope he continues to be good. No wonder we got the time share exchange so easily, it's hurricane season. Yes, we always take vacation insurance, luckily we never had to use it. I am not planning on renting a car. I was thinking of taking half-day tours and then maybe just relax on the beach afterwards? Is there restaurants nearby? If there is not, I think I will take the all inclusive. Sort of in the expensive side though.

California
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacationing with toddler

Yindella, my mother nad father in law stayed there last year and did not do the All inclusive. They said that the food at the resort was way over priced and they almost "force" you into doing the all inclusive package. They refused and ate many meals elsewhere. So, if you are planning on staying at the resort, it might get expensive. What we always do is bring food with us. We pack a duffle bag and an ice chest with food. Stuff for breakfasts, lunches and some dinners. All rooms have a small kitchenette with a stove top, microwave and refrigerator. This cuts cost and makes sure there is food that the little ones like.

Cabo_nut

Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacationing with toddler

I found this post by poolsfh44 on traveling with a toddler in Cabo which I thought was very helpful! We will be going down in November with a toddler too...Should be fun! Here you go:

Posted on: 9:29 pm, Jan 19, 2005

Just returned from a week at the Riu with our 2 year old and we have travelled with her to Mexico when she is 14 mos and 2 mos. These are my packing suggestions:

- portable DVD player and fav DVDs to occupy on plane and play as needed, if you bring cords you maybe able to plug right into the TV as we did at the hotel

- rubber bath tub mat - use in hotel's bath or shower to stop slipping

- bacterial wipes if you are concerned about wiping down high chairs etc., a few kiddie face cloths so you don't use up the big ones so fast and to have for wiping hands and face at the restaurants

- travel kettle - use to rinse out sippy cups and any of their dishes and cutlery you may bring, especially important to boil the water if where you stay does not have drinking water coming from the taps

- toddler advil/tylenol etc. harder to find in Cabo/Mexico, more expensive and if you need it you don't want to have to run out and find it

- bucket and shovel to enjoy the beach, my daughter loved shovelling and collecting small shells

- life jacket, water wings and an inflatable ring to play with in the pool - the pool and the sand at the beach are probably going to be your 3 year old's favourites

- if still in diapers bring alot more than you think you will need as with the change in food comes a change in bowel movements and frequency

- we toook a boat over to Lover's and Divorce beaches and arrived at 9:30am, for almost an hour we had the whole beach areas to ourselves and had great time, at about 10:30 the masses started to come and kept coming - so if you go make it early and enjoy the view and the quiet

- if your 3 year old likes to dance see if your hotel has shows or kiddie discos our loved to dance at the kiddie disco which as at 8pm

-favourite snacks from home for plane rides and extras during the trip - you can find most things in Cabo once you get there

That's about it, have a great time!