We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Cabo...does this airfare seem reasonable?

Chantilly, Virginia
Level Contributor
507 posts
108 reviews
First time to Cabo...does this airfare seem reasonable?

In the process of planning our first trip to Cabo and interested in typical airfare costs. I've decided on a VRBO condo to book at Villa La Estancia but trying to decide if I should go ahead and also book flights now.

We are vacationing the week before Easter (our HS junior son's school break) and planning to fly from DC to SJD on Sat 4/13, spend 5 or 6 nights in Cabo then fly from SJD to Phoenix and spend a few days in Arizona with our freshman college son out there. Also, hoping his class schedule will permit him to skip a couple of days of classes and join us in Cabo upon arrival that Sat 4/13 and fly back to PHX lateTuesday afternoon to finish out his school week.

American Airlines is offering the best flights with some pretty good schedules and travel times and believe it or not, it is actually less for us to fly back through PHX than just traveling WAS-SJD-WAS.

The best flights for us are pricing out at $898 RT (coming back through PHX vs. $1000 RT going direct to/from DC.) I know we are vacationing at an expensive time due to Easter and popular K-12 spring break time. Does this seem like a pretty reasonable price for the holiday timeframe and considering that we also get the "bonus" visit with our college son over Easter weekend? Flights out to PHX alone from our area are usually at least $425-550 and we are paying $700 to fly our son home to DC for Thanksgiving.

I think the price seems reasonable but have never priced flights to Cabo and these flights are costing more than the typical "deal" that I usually find for our holiday travels. But...in the past, I've found the good airfares and worked our vacations around the flights, however, now I specifically want to work our vacation around seeing our college son far away on the west coast! I know that our HS junior son will also enjoy HIS spring break vacation more if his brother/good bud is able to join us.

Thinking I should book now rather than wait and take a chance that costs will increase but wanted to check typical fares from east coast and/or other destinations to see if this airfare seems pretty reasonable. Thanks!

14 replies to this topic
St James, New York
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
18,243 posts
176 reviews
1. Re: First time to Cabo...does this airfare seem reasonable?

We often fly from NY (JFK) connecting in Dallas (DFW) to Cabo (SJD).

Round trip is usually mid $500 s in Feb.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: First time to Cabo...does this airfare seem reasonable?

Is it $898 roundtrip for 1 person??

Chantilly, Virginia
Level Contributor
507 posts
108 reviews
3. Re: First time to Cabo...does this airfare seem reasonable?

@ Blaze - Yes, $898 per person. We have lots of United airlines miles which we use often but United doesn't work well for Cabo so planning to use Sapphire awards points for at least one of the three tickets to bring our total costs down a bit.

@Rocky G - that seems like a great fare for mid-Feb!

We used to pull our kids out of school for vacations when they were little and travel during more affordable timeframes but once they got a bit older, unfortunately, now we have to work around school breaks - Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and Summer so we get hit with the more expensive and crowded travel times.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,991 posts
662 reviews
4. Re: First time to Cabo...does this airfare seem reasonable?

Have you tried a package of hotel and flight? That would make the price more affordable.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
5. Re: First time to Cabo...does this airfare seem reasonable?

I think you might be able to do a little bit better than that price. I'd wait until Tuesday just to take another look as fares fluctuate and that's typically the day they drop briefly. I've also read that the Tuesday after Thanksgiving is supposed to be a great time to book flights. Good luck!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: First time to Cabo...does this airfare seem reasonable?

Google flights or the app hoppr are great for tracking flight prices. Like what others said booking flight and hotel together can save you as much as a few hundred per person (I usually use Expedia).

St James, New York
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
18,243 posts
176 reviews
7. Re: First time to Cabo...does this airfare seem reasonable?

LUVSML... My friend just booked that flight on A/A from NY- Dallas -SJD round trip.

We go to Cabo every year in the winter.

Round Trip Prices fluctuate, but have consistently been in that $500 range.

Your originating city does make a difference. It seems wrong that NY should be less.

Edited: 16 November 2018, 22:00
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
307 posts
8. Re: First time to Cabo...does this airfare seem reasonable?

We booked on AA through Dallas for mid March , from Buffalo for right around $600 RT.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: First time to Cabo...does this airfare seem reasonable?

$898 is a bit high in my opinion. I’d wait it out.

From here in San Diego or Tijuana we usually pay about $200pp more or less to Cabo. I’ve never paid more than $550 for 2 of us. My wife and I.

But coming from your location that is obviously a lot further but I’d still wait it out a bit.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
388 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: First time to Cabo...does this airfare seem reasonable?

That seems high, but then it’s Easter/ Spring break. We are lucky to get good flights to Cabo on West Coast but I guess it’s reversed and in someones favour from the East to The Mayan. We are paying $543 Canadian each ( about $400 US)non stop both ways from Vancouver to Cabo . Including 1 piece of checked luggage each. Great flight times . Canadian taxes are much more for flights than the US or it would be cheaper

Reply to: First time to Cabo...does this airfare seem reasonable?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted