We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Important question!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
26,016 posts
68 reviews
Important question!

PNW has shared a way to possibly get this ( https://goo.gl/fvdnB7 ) posted as a sticky, that stays at the top of the page. Her feeling is that a sticky clutters things up. I've personally got zero idea about that, as I don't peruse TA for much, and we don't have any. My question is "Should we actually contact TA and request this be make into one, to possibly make the dangers of the Pacific more readily visible to new people coming here?" I know this only reaches those that use TA, but it is an ever growing resource for people, and if just seems that if seeing the video could save just one life, it would be something that needs to be kept at the top. If y'all don't want it, then it won't even be attempted. If y'all think it is worth trying to accomplish, just share that here and we can then see if it can be done.

Thanks!

21 replies to this topic
Glendale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
51 reviews
11. Re: Important question!

I like the 2nd option that PacificNWFamily suggested. I think it's responsible of this forum to try and provide these warnings to travelers. People just don't understand until they can see it as a repeated serious issue with the waves/current in this region. Maybe we have a few videos linked in the thread before we close the commenting. Or put multiple links in the original I'm sure if some of us search YouTube we can find more like the one that FMSDude posted.

Carefree, AZ
Level Contributor
116 posts
20 reviews
12. Re: Important question!

Last year we were on Solmar Beach and participated in rescuing a surf fisherman. It took several men to pull him to safety and his only comment was, "Whose going to get my fishing pole?".

Most tourists do not recognize the power of the undertow or appearance of a rogue wave. TA should continue to post warnings so everyone enjoys their vacations.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
26,016 posts
68 reviews
13. Re: Important question!

I like the second option also! No comments, just a big warning. At least it may let people know how dangerous it is!

Ir it's at the top of the questions, can't be commented on, and shows the videos-it just might at least give new people to the area a warning. Even that would help. I've only seen one person get pulled in on Solmar beach-and thank goodness they were rescued, but we have all either seen or read about lives lost! Thank goodness y'all saved that fisherman, Cabo Dreamer-too bad he wasn't more grateful!

If anyone wants to work on making a sticky, I'd love it. I'm not the most computer savvy person, so would welcome any help possible!

14. Re: Important question!

Is Los Cabos currently a safe place for an old senior citizen and his wife to travel? Thks

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,963 posts
132 reviews
15. Re: Important question!

Compass10004550314 ~ Yes. It is fine. Note that this topic is about where to swim safely in the ocean.

Please start a new thread so that folks can give you the best advice. Describe your travel style and which town in Los Cabos is a better match for you. (Los Cabos is the entire municipality.)

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
26,016 posts
68 reviews
16. Re: Important question!

Definitely safe-just not the ocean/sea in most places. I agree with PNW to start a new thread to get better info. Also there are some good answers to questions in the Top Questions section on the right of this page. Go and enjoy-from one old senior citizen to another! :)

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
13,126 posts
142 reviews
17. Re: Important question!

Kat good suggestion , and nice to see in Top Questions.

More help on DE forum.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
26,016 posts
68 reviews
18. Re: Important question!

I am trying to get a non-comment, sticky put at the top of our page about how dangerous the waters can be, but still haven't gotten TA to respond. I'll keep working on that! We have videos to include also-so a good visual of how dangerous it can be. Thanks, JoLeen2!

United States
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
356 reviews
19. Re: Important question!

I spend plenty of free time on message boards related to activities I'm involved in, mostly related to mountain biking and general travel. I like Sticky topics as they are always at the top, front and center for people to see. They absolutely don't clutter anything up. How could they? They never move. This Cabo board is a perfect example as evidence that nobody bothers to look at the "Top Questions" on Trip Advisor.

Specifically related to your post Kat...my wife watched (3) people on (2) separate occasions get taken out by the wave run-off/whitewash out in front of the Grand Solmar last week. Luckily, none of them got dragged into the ocean and they were all able to walk away.

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
80 posts
14 reviews
20. Re: Important question!

Last week, in the tourista corridor, a man and his wife were on the beach and a rogue wave came. She ended up tumbling in the surf, and he went out to save her. Two others went out too. Unfortunately, the husband died. The lifeguards were able to get the three out using their life saving equipment. It was very sad. You have to be so careful!

Reply to: Important question!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted