We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be careful buying silver at the marina

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
21 posts
Be careful buying silver at the marina

Got back yesterday from 5 days in Cabo. While there, we ran into the guys selling silver chains and bracelets, etc at the marina. There are a number of them wearing burgundy shirts making the rounds. My wife and I each bought a chain. Nothing exciting or expensive, one was $30 and the other was I think $20. Neither have a “.925” stamp, to be fair, but they were sold to us as silver.

I wasn’t even thinking about it but tonight I happened to get my chain close to a magnet and it stuck to it. Clearly, it’s not silver. I don’t even know if it’s silver plated. Took the magnet over to my wife’s chain and... stuck right to it.

There’s probably no recourse other than getting the word out about these guys, but if you happen to be in the market for silver, take a magnet with you. Better yet, don’t buy “silver” from the burgundy shirt guys.

I was told there’s an office right there on the marina where you can go complain about things like this. Too bad we’re already home or else I would.

15 replies to this topic
St James, New York
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
17,839 posts
176 reviews
1. Re: Be careful buying silver at the marina

Be careful buying anything : } Timeshares, Vacation Clubs, Cigars, Jewelry, Fishing trips.

Let the buyer beware!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Be careful buying silver at the marina

Yeah sorry that happened to you.

I wouldn’t advise buying any sort of jewelry off the street anywhere in Mexico where the seller claims that it’s a precious metal cause it’s likely that’s it’s not.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
198 reviews
3. Re: Be careful buying silver at the marina

Might be alpaca. Basically costume jewelry. Your post is a good reminder to people to not expect to buy .925 silver off the street.

I remember you asked questions about sunset cruises and tours etc. Hopefully you'll post about your experiences.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,407 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Be careful buying silver at the marina

None of the "silver" sold in Cabo is actually silver anymore. Maybe silver plated? And a lot of the knick knacks and souvenirs sold in the little tents, etc. are actually made in China, not MX. If you want real silver, go to the brick & mortar stores. It will be expensive, tho, since it's real. But, FYI, you can buy real silver here in the U.S. for a heckuva lot cheaper than you could buy the same thing in MX. I have quite a few real silver pieces that I bought in Cabo but it was from many years ago, back when they actually sold real silver items. You'll notice now that all of the "silver" in the little tents and shops and sold by the guys on the marina are all the same -- mass produced somewhere and none of it is real.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
30,195 posts
5. Re: Be careful buying silver at the marina

The price should have be a good indication that what you bought wasnt silver.

St James, New York
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
17,839 posts
176 reviews
6. Re: Be careful buying silver at the marina

On the positive side.....Anything you buy will be a nice reminder of this hopefully wonderful vacation

The value is in the eyes of the purchaser.

How much is a nice memory worth...Priceless !!!!!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,974 posts
66 reviews
7. Re: Be careful buying silver at the marina

Hopefully you will still get some good wear and memories form them. Sadly, it's super easy to be fooled, especially on a first trip.

I only purchase my silver from D'Garo now days. While Patty doesn't make the silver pieces, I know she only takes in 925 silver to sell in her store, and also has an excellent silver smith she uses.I have had her have silver pieces made for me, and never been unhappy. I would also trust her to send me to someone trustworthy, should I want something she can't get. There is a shop in the Cabo Wabo plaza lots of people also recommend highly.

Thanks for the reminder for all those that may not be aware.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
21 posts
8. Re: Be careful buying silver at the marina

Yes, aside from this we had a great time. Thanks for the reminder.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,924 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Be careful buying silver at the marina

The building you referenced is the new PROFECO government offices that opened last January right down from Captain Tony's Restaurant. I went for the grand opening and it was a lot of fun. The sign on the building was in Spanish ONLY but at the grand opening they were commenting about how important it is for PROFECO to speak other languages and to advertise that. I mentioned to them that the sign on the building was Spanish only..and that seemed shocking to them!! Many people use PROFECO for complaints about Timeshare purchases and it is good that they moved now to a tourist location to make it easier. They would have tried to help you possibly too.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Be careful buying silver at the marina

We are here in Cabo San Lucas now. I purchased a pretty, braided "silver" bracelet for $20 US today from a nice young man named Alan in a shop by the Marina. For $20 it is likely NOT silver...but the intrinsic value makes it priceless. We have had a wonderful trip so far and I will wear it with good memories, AND get a lot of compliments when I wear it!

Reply to: Be careful buying silver at the marina
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted