We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you help me get a plan started?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Can you help me get a plan started?

Hi destination experts. I’m just getting started on researching options for a February 2019 trip to Cabo. Hoping you can nudge me in the right direction and save me some time.

It will be me, my husband, our two boys (10 & 8) and my MIL. We usually do a lot of exploring and excursions, but for this one I think we’d really like to mostly relax. My husband wants to chill out in a hammock and read. I like that too, but I also love to swim and I love love to snorkel. Long walks on beach and some beautiful vistas are also great. Love the look of the arch I keep seeing in all the pictures. I don’t love the look of resort/hotels that have a very flat white stark barren sand look. Like the ones with more interesting landscapes rocky outcroppings etc.

Kids obviously want fun, fun, fun. Both strong swimmers and love to snorkel too. They also love to beachcomb and love animals / creatures from the sea etc. MIL likes to relax, but also likes to take in some culture and she will expect at least a few shopping opportunities. MIL might go in the pool but generally avoids the water.

From what I see it doesn’t look like there’s a lot of snorkeling right from shore. Looks like we’d be doing tours. Am I right? Is there a location with reasonably calm water and snorkelling from shore? Should I just let go of the whole snorkeling thing and settle for chilling out at a pool? If yes, I’d want a really nice pool.

So where should we stay? What’s a good home base? Don’t want to break the bank, is $400ish per night going to get us a 2 BR on the beach (not beach front room, but beach front resort) with a nice pool? Am I dreaming? Should we stay further away from the centre to get more bang for our accommodation bucks? We’re definitely not into the boozy party crowd thing. Looking for the family vibe. But love the swimmable beach which appears to be near the centre and the arch. I get the impression that area might also be full of that loud party crowd. Am I wrong?

We are really good cooks so we like to cook with the local fair so not looking for all inclusive. But sometimes it’s nice to have a break. And we love to try a few nice local restaurants too. If we got a place with free breakfast that would work well.

If you can give a couple of pointers I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,807 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you help me get a plan started?

Stay at a property on Medano Beach which is very swimmable I see people with snokles and masks from time to time but on this beach really not much to see. You can however take a taxi to one of the beaches good for snorkeling without doing a tour.

There are plenty of options on Medano Beach, Ive stayed at Casa Dorada a number of times and along with others would be a good choice.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,824 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you help me get a plan started?

Medano would be the best bet for having a swimmable beach, but not necessarily peace and quiet. You can walk into town from there, and Casa Dorada would be a fine choice. I'd personally prefer Cascadas if I were staying on Medano however. A more laid back-relaxing atmosphere than CD.

My preferred beach is Solmar Beach-which is absolutely NON Swimming-but there are several great properties there, and it's a short water taxi ride from the marina (which is about a 5 min. walk away) to Medano.

I think I'd suggest perusing a brochure like the one from www.cabovillas.com to get some good ideas of the properties available in the entire Los Cabos area (Earth, Sea & Sky-a great company to work with). You might also look at San Jose-it is a quieter city, but has a more traditional feel, and has some lovely properties.

Also, owners of time share properties often rent their weeks out when they can't use them, so it's possible to find larger units being rented for a great price. A 2 bedroom 3 bath at a place like Playa Grande could work well for you, but I'm sure other properties offer similar accommodations.

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you help me get a plan started?

That is a very generous budget especially if you rent a units from a timeshare owner. Almost all of the nice resorts right in Cabo are timeshare resorts so you might as well get a great deal.

We recently rented a 2 bedroom, 3 bath plus a den huge unit at Grand Solmar for the whole week for 1800 total.

It is on unswimmable Solmar beach but there several gorgeous pools and the large units are amazing. Full kitchen with dining room, large living room and humongous balconies. We easily could have had 30 people on our balcony and another 30 inside. Crazy!

Check out sites like vrbo to see what is available .

The Hacienda Beach Resort or Villa la Estancia have large units well within your price range but they are on the quiet side but just steps to all the beach action.

Casa Dorada is livlier and right in the middle of the beach.

All of the above are great choices.

Look at the reviews and the pictures and see what you like.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you help me get a plan started?

Depending on how important it is for you to be able to snorkel right from your resort the Chileno Bay Resort & Residences, Playa Chileno Bay, Cabo San lucas may be the best option for you as this is the only resort that you can snorkel from the resort that is fairly near Cabo San Lucas.

https://chilenobay.aubergeresorts.com/

The snorkel tours also come to this area.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 09:16
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
129 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you help me get a plan started?

I would recommend Villa Estancia. We have stayed there before and loved it. They have large units and you can cook and grill. We went to Costco and stocked up on steak, lobster, etc. We blended our our drinks in our room. It is located on Medano Beach and you can walk to restaurants and bars if you decide to go out to dinner, etc. Make sure that you know exactly what unit you’re renting and not getting thrown into a pool of rooms. The building numbers all correspond with your location. It’s a great property.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you help me get a plan started?

Being from Vancouver Island myself , have you considered Huatulco especially in February? I've snorkelled in both Huatulco and Cabo in February. Never again in Cabo.

The weather is much nicer and warmer in Huatulco. Even hot. No worries about cold fronts. A sweater is never neaded.

I'm in the ocean or non heated swimming pool in the winter before 8 am just to cool off in Huatulco.

Less worries about spring breakers and steroid punks. No crowds. Different clientele in Huatulco. A bit older. 75 percent of international tourists are Canadian. English not as widely spoken. No Walmart or Costco.

11 minute ride to town from small airport. A few minutes and you are through with airport beer for 42 pesos. Not 150 pesos. No time share sales people. No worries about $100 Canadian to take a taxi or private transportation to your hotel.

Huatulco is super clean. Water and sewer treatment plants on par or better than most North American cities especially Victoria. Everything is recycled. All electricity is wind powered. You can drink the tap water. All tree lined boulevards and side walks. 29,400 acre National park in town. Green Globe Certification and the only resort destination in Mexico that has it.

Easily snorkel from the shore in Huatulco at different beaches. Nobody rents a car in Huatulco. 30 pesos by taxi gets you anywhere in town and 75 pesos by taxi will get you to over 20 beaches. Ask how many beaches 75 pesos by taxi will get you to in Cabo.

I like all inclusive myself but lots of choices for accommodation. From my Secrets resort, I could snorkel from the shore, SUP, take out a hobby craft, walk to a deserted beach or kayak to another deserted beach. Walk down the road a few minutes and go surfing ,boggie boarding and fish from the shore or just watch from a beach bar.

Ocean temperatures in February according to seatemperature.org

Huatulco 28 C / 82 F

Cabo 21.5 C / 70.7 F

Good luck in February.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you help me get a plan started?

Download the HomeAway app. You will be able to get a really nice place for 400 a night. You will be able to have a private pool, hot tub and all the amenities. I use it to rent wherever I go. Just put in the filters you need and happy hunting.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you help me get a plan started?

Another vote for Casa Dorada.

I'd also look a few hotels down particularly at PB Rose. Much quieter. Still on swimmable Medano Beach and still close to city center somewhat.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you help me get a plan started?

Thanks everyone. That helps! Solar, yes I have looked into Huatulco but couldn't get flights to work with my points :( Maybe next time.

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you help me get a plan started?

wikimapia.org/…20lucas

Here's a map of the marina, beach area and the resorts that are being talked about. Scroll around, enlarge it to see the specific resorts and their locations. Gives you a better view of what/where we are talking about

Reply to: Can you help me get a plan started?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted