We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is P.B. Sunset Beach Ranked #26 out of 70 hotels?

Campbell, California
Level Contributor
845 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Why is P.B. Sunset Beach Ranked #26 out of 70 hotels?

I've been looking at the traveler ranked hotel listings and can't help but notice that Sunset Beach has been ranked in the mid to high 20's for what seems like years? I've been there many times and the resort dose have issues, but does it deserve to ranked so poorly?

Here’s something that I came across that compares Sunset beach to the other Pueblo Bonito resorts. The other resorts are doing much better.

https:/…09-2017_pbsb_rankings.pdf

Edited: 14 October 2017, 05:32
10 replies to this topic
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,187 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is P.B. Sunset Beach Ranked #26 out of 70 hotels?

Honestly, rankings on TA aren't any more reliable than rankings on Yelp, Google, etc. People that are happy usually don't leave a review unless the review is solicited by the establishment owner. People with an axe to grind will take the time to berate an establishment. Honestly, I never believe the rating systems of any website -- too easy to alter or influence. I always come to the forum and ask questions. Even then, you're subjected to people's biases (e.g., if they have a personal friendship with the establishment owner). Does anyone really believe the ratings? I think most people are suspect of the ratings since they don't seem to follow what we personally know to be true. Take it with a grain of salt.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
15,551 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is P.B. Sunset Beach Ranked #26 out of 70 hotels?

PB Sunset each is a really nice resort. I would rate it better. Nice spacious suites, Great Ocean views. Really nice choice of more on site restaurants than almost any resort in Los Cabos.

The six pools are really interesting with the cool Sky pool being unusual with its lofty perch. This resort has some of the best views for watching the Whales cavort in the winter months.

PB Sunset Beach while not swimmable has those great crashing waves most of us love to watch. Nice Spa and a great beach for long romantic strolls. Next to one of the best golf courses in Cabo (Quivira).

So Yeah this is way better than 26 th.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is P.B. Sunset Beach Ranked #26 out of 70 hotels?

I have stayed there before, is there anything you would like to know? I leave to go there Sunday, it will be my 2nd time there! I didn’t want to just give a full review on here. It has pro’s and con’s. We don’t do the AI because we love eating local too much.

Edited: 14 October 2017, 08:14
Oceanside...
Level Contributor
818 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is P.B. Sunset Beach Ranked #26 out of 70 hotels?

I think it's going a little far to say ratings aren't accurate. They may not be perfect but when there 3000+ reviews. I think the odds are that they are accurate. The resort isn't going to manipulate 3000+ people.

That being said, just because a resort is #26 doesn't make it bad when it's rated at 4.5 out of 5 with over 9000 reviews. That's pretty darn solid if you ask me. Instead of looking at what # it's rated, it's more important to me how the reviews are.

Campbell, California
Level Contributor
845 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is P.B. Sunset Beach Ranked #26 out of 70 hotels?

I understand what everyone is saying. But every other Pueblo Bonito resort is doing so much better. What makes Sunset Beach stand out in such a negative way when compared to other restorts in the chain?

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is P.B. Sunset Beach Ranked #26 out of 70 hotels?

Just a guess but PB Sunset Beach is located a bit out of town on the Pacific Side non swimable beach, while the PB Rose and the PB Los Cabos (Blanco) are on Medano Beach a swimmable beach, There is a shuttle that runs from the PB Sunset to the PB Rose should people wish to go Medano Beach or into the town and the Marina. Also it is an easy walk into town and the Marina from the resorts on Medano Beach.

Edited: 14 October 2017, 11:50
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,187 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is P.B. Sunset Beach Ranked #26 out of 70 hotels?

@Mike - I totally disagree. I've been on TA for, what, a decade?! I've personally had reviews "declined" by TA because they were "too similar" to other reviews, or I reviewed the same place "too soon" (I go to Cabo a couple of times every year). When someone takes the time to write up a review and include photos, just to have it turned down because it is "too similar" or "too soon", then it's not surprising that the veracity of the review system isn't trusted.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why is P.B. Sunset Beach Ranked #26 out of 70 hotels?

Couple of things tend to hamper Sunset Beach. Not a swimmable beach. Not close to town (walkable). Some people don't like (actually hate) the hillside location because of the need for the golf carts. And like was previously said, people with an ax to grind will go out of there way to complain. Also common in human nature, when one thing goes wrong (especially at the beginning of a trip), everything else is looked at under a microscope and needlessly complained about as well (even when nothing was really wrong).

Other issues, when Sunset Beach converted to an AI (option), there were a lot of growing pains. Loss of some tips to the staff being one. This was probably about 6 years ago (give or take). Lots of complaints back then (mostly about the AI and service levels). But even they were mostly undeserved. Also Sunset Beach has never stopped growing, so over the years, there has always been a fair amount of construction noise from time to time. People who are too close to a construction area in the resort are not going to be too happy. Never bothered us too much.

Bottom line - Sunset Beach is a SPECTACULAR RESORT. We've been going there EVERY year since 2003 so we've pretty much seen it all. We still love it and wouldn't even consider another resort in Cabo. Except maybe Pueblo Bonito Blanco, our first love affair with Cabo in 2002.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why is P.B. Sunset Beach Ranked #26 out of 70 hotels?

One thing I’ve noticed with the reviews of PBSB are many resort-solicited guest reviews that specifically praise an employee(s). I find that most of these reviews are from people who have only posted 0 to 1 prior reviews. This takes away the credibility of what is said (usually positive) and I feel Trip Advisor should be do more screening to deny their postings. I find these reviews to be totally useless and believe they skew the rankings to be higher than it really should reflect.

By the way, we have been owners at PBSB since 2006 and typically stay there once every other year.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
206 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why is P.B. Sunset Beach Ranked #26 out of 70 hotels?

I think dmwalker hit it spot on with her assessment. In addition the TA rankings compare apples to oranges. As an example, how do you compare a resort with amazing views, plentiful amenities and dining experiences with small hotels/motels in town, no beach access, etc.? I personally don't buy the non-swimable beach perspective or proximity to town. Guests/owners going to Sunset know well in advance what they're bargaining for. When you enter SB, the entrance is no other in Cabo and sets it apart from the others.

Reply to: Why is P.B. Sunset Beach Ranked #26 out of 70 hotels?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted