We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel/Resort reviews

Temperance, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel/Resort reviews

I was reading a review on the place we stayed in Cabo and I couldn't believe it. This persons experience was totally the opposite of mine. All bad things to say, while I raved about it!

When I chose a place to stay I read all about it to know what to expect (location, hard to walk around, dining, etc). Some people just complain that it was hard to get around, or whatever the complaint my be. People should be informed of the place they choose to stay, as after checking it out it my not be for you, and then complaining about everything.

It just doesn't seem fair to the establishment. Do you research the property you choose?

10 replies to this topic
Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,553 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel/Resort reviews

I always read reviews on everything before going...mostly because I am addicted to TA!!! When I do a "big" trip I might read thousands of reviews for over a year before booking. By that point I am pretty aware of all of the pros and cons of the resort-and know that I will just have to deal with the cons.

My take...if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. I want to have a great vacation (always have BTW), and planning ahead of time will make everything relaxing-and I will be able to just deal with those things that always pop up that we have no control over!

Washingtonville, NY
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel/Resort reviews

I do. I research everything. lol.

But I know enough to read between the lines. Some people complain about everything and some think everything is perfect. I also look to see if that is their first post ever, or do they have a good posting reputation.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
358 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel/Resort reviews

Kathy, like you, I am amazed that some people don't "do their homework" before a big trip. There are so many variables that go into whether a resort/hotel is the right fit for a traveler and star ratings just tell a part of the story. Like Laurie, I am somewhat addicted to TA, so reading reviews is part of my planning process. Helps me to get a good idea of what to expect and tips and pointers to avoid some pitfalls that others may have encountered. To me, that's what TA is all about! Of course, there are situations that arise that deserve a bad review, but that's where "reading between the lines" comes in. Like Jenn says, if most posts are positive and the writer has a negative post, I give more credence to that post. I would never go in blind to a foreign hotel/resort.

Temperance, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel/Resort reviews

Yes, I absolutely research like crazy, lol. Our trip to Cabo was for myself and 2 girlfriends and they left all the planning to me. Neither one of them complained a bit and just loved the choice I came up with. So much so, we plan on going back to the same place in Feb 2019.

But it is true that some people aren't happy with anything. And when reading reviews on a place you've stayed before you know first hand how it is. But if it's new to you do the research.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel/Resort reviews

Agree 100%. My biggest pet peeve when reading reviews & posts here is when people are so quick to come to TA to give something/someone a bad review, but it didn't occur to them to spend a few minutes reading the reviews before deciding to book & go. Then they state their unbelievable dismay toward all the elements that would've been obvious had they used the abundant amount of trip reports & reviews that are found in the exact same place they know they can go to complain.

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel/Resort reviews

Like the others, I research thoroughly and part of the process is reading the reviews.

After years of participating here at TripAdvisor and in other travel forums, I've learned to not only read between the lines but also "sift" through the reviews.

One thing I watch for carefully is whether the reviewer returns to this resort year after year because I know to expect a certain "bias". Multiple time returning guests seem to ignore small things that can greatly annoy a first time visitor. Is the reviewer a "member"? Time share guests get perks that others don't get. I wish people would clearly indicate they are members when writing their reviews. Reviews from guests who go during the shoulder or off season most often leave a different impression than guests who visited at peak seasons such as Christmas, Spring Break, etc. when the resort is at capacity and service takes longer. I also ignore reviews that simply rave about certain employees and tell me little to nothing about the actual resort.

There's an art to writing reviews as well as reading them!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
528 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel/Resort reviews

I read a lot of reviews, but have to ignore some of them. My favorite complaint is when someone who is not from Mexico, complains about a staff member that doesn't speak English. Ugggh what is wrong with people??

Bloomington, IL
Level Contributor
135 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel/Resort reviews

I tend to 'ignore' the top 5% and bottom 5% of reviews and read the middle 90% to formulate my own thoughts.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,785 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel/Resort reviews

Some of the reviews are just funny. This one has made it to many 'best of' lists.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60678-d2075…

"It's a great beach, just too sandy."

Temperance, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel/Resort reviews

Omg Pacific!! "Beach is to sandy", lol. That is hilarious!

Reply to: Hotel/Resort reviews
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted