We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Miguel de Allende to Cancun

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
San Miguel de Allende to Cancun

My son and his GF will be in SMA during our next trip to Isla Mujeres in September. What is the best, most economical way to get them up to Cancun? I see flights from the area are pretty expensive ($400+ each, round trip) but flights from Mexico City are half that. The ADO bus is 23 hours from Mexico City alone, so that won't work.

My initial thought is they should take a bus to the Mexico City airport and fly from there, or even work in a few days in Mexico City while en route. Any advice?

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Miguel de Allende to Cancun

Bus to Mexico City and then flight probably works best. I would avoid the low-cost airlines though.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,992 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Miguel de Allende to Cancun

A stopover in Mexico City is highly recommended: it is a world class city. Otherwise, they can go to Querétaro and get a bus direct to MEX from there. They should allow plenty of time as there are sometimes delays on the highway.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Miguel de Allende to Cancun

I had been looking Saturday to Saturday since that's when we're traveling, but now I see Volaris flies from BJX on Sundays for $245 r/t, taxes included. Yes, this is a discount airline but I see they're the second largest airline in Mexico and I know they partner with Southwest. Any experience with Volaris?

(Of course, if it were my wife and I we would definitely squeeze in some time in Mexico City).

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,992 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Miguel de Allende to Cancun

There is a long-standing thread about the perils of flying Volaris. The Sunday flights are closer to $300 at the current rate of exchange. You also have to factor in the cost of getting to BJX from SMA: about $30 per person by shuttle o/w.

5. Re: San Miguel de Allende to Cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 06:47
Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende