We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety Concerns - Transport to and within San Miguel

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
317 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Safety Concerns - Transport to and within San Miguel

Hi all,

I know this has been asked before but I didn't see any recent discussions so I just wanted to make sure nothing has changed in terms safety.

We are traveling to San Miguel for my friend's wedding in November. Are there any safety concerns we should be aware of for the journey between BJX and San Miguel? We are planning on reserving a shuttle or driver ahead of time. BajioGo, which I found on TripAdvisor, seems to have good reviews, and my hotel has suggested Transportes Magico. Any suggestions either way?

Also, our hotel is located a 15 min. walk away from the wedding reception location (which is across from Parque Benito Juárez). Is it considered safe to walk late at night in San Miguel - particularly across from this park? It will likely just be me and my husband. Or is it better to use a cab or uber to travel back to our hotel? And if a ride is the better idea, any thoughts on a taxi vs. uber? We used uber in Mexico City last year with no issues because our hotel said some of the cabs there can be shady, but not sure if that is an issue in San Miguel as well.

Thanks all! Looking forward to visiting beautiful San Miguel!

14 replies to this topic
San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety Concerns - Transport to and within San Miguel

It is hard to discuss safety without controversy, so I will give off-hand remarks. Nothing has changed. BJX (Leon) is a convenient and secure route to fly and be transported to San Miguel de Allende. Preference should be given to arrival in daylight, but if you are coming by night, BJX is a good choice. Late at night, there is no reason not to take a cab if going more than a few blocks, particularly if drinking. Cabs, uber and private car service (unmarked cab) are all relatively the same in this town, in terms of safety, price, and service. At night, perhaps you might want to have a car/cab called by phone, rather than hailing one on the street. There is a modest charge for calling a ride to pick you up.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
317 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety Concerns - Transport to and within San Miguel

Thank you for your response! I understand that is a potentially controversial subject so I appreciate you wading in :). As I mentioned, we have been to Mexico City within the past year so we aren't at all fearful of the region - just making sure we are being safe and taking any necessary precautions. The wedding we are attending is at a hotel so I am assuming I should be able to have them call a cab for us when we are ready to leave. We are planning on flying in and out during the day so no worries there. Is it best to coordinate transport ahead of time? Any experience with BajioGo?

Thanks again,

Erin

Edited: 13 June 2018, 23:10
Portland Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety Concerns - Transport to and within San Miguel

Just used Bajigo and found the service great. Shared the ride with two others . The driver met us in the terminal with a sign. The van was air conditioned, new, and clean. We were dropped off at our apartment about two hours after touchdown in Leon.

The company has a longstanding and well deserved reputation.

I am happy not to wade into the security debate as the previous post answered the question well.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
317 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety Concerns - Transport to and within San Miguel

Thank you!! You have both perfectly answered everything I needed to know. I appreciate all of your help! :)

Erin

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,992 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety Concerns - Transport to and within San Miguel

Uber is very patchy in San Miguel. There are often no vehicles available and surge pricing is common and ridiculously expensive. Street taxis are plentiful, cheap and reliable.

Viajes San Miguel has been operating far longer than BajioGo, has better customer support and, as far as I know, has not been subject to hold-ups on the highway.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
317 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety Concerns - Transport to and within San Miguel

Has BajioGo had highway holdups?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety Concerns - Transport to and within San Miguel

We had good service from simply hailing taxis. We also walked everywhere until going home but we rarely stay out past 11 or 12. For me, the biggest safety concern there is watching where you step on uneven walkways and being careful on the cobbles.

Our lovely B&B arranged pickups at the airport for us....worked like a charm with no stress.

Edited: 17 July 2018, 23:07
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
317 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety Concerns - Transport to and within San Miguel

Thank you!

5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety Concerns - Transport to and within San Miguel

Any of the problems seem to occur very early in the morning or late at night. BajioGo is a good company but they have had problems on drives from Mexico City. I have not heard of any from Leon. In any case we avoid traveling late at night or early in the morning.

As far as walking through Parque Juarez late at night it is probably not the best idea. San Miguel is relatively safe but like in any City you are unfamiliar with it is wise to take precautions and Parks are empty at night. You could walk around the park or just take a taxi. SanMiguel is a wonderful place to visit.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
317 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety Concerns - Transport to and within San Miguel

Thank you, Jana. Is there a transportation company you have used that you would recommend?

We will definitely not walk through the park - I was more wondering about whether it would be safe to walk around it. But since it sounds as though cabs are safe, we will likely just have the hotel call one when we leave.

Thanks!

Erin

Reply to: Safety Concerns - Transport to and within San Miguel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende