We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polambato Ferry Terminal to Pilar, Sorsogon via Masbate

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Polambato Ferry Terminal to Pilar, Sorsogon via Masbate

Hi All,

I am travelling to the Philippines for the first time this coming March and hope to have some advice, especially since Montenegro Shipping website is down.

I intend to board the 12midnight ferry from Polambato Ferry Terminal to Masbate Port and wondering

- do I buy my ticket at the Ferry Terminal or an office in Bogo City?

- what are the chances that the ferries are fully booked? Do I need to book the tickets in advance or I can just buy them straight from the ferry terminal?

Because my destination is Pilar, Sorsogon, I hope to catch the 0830hrs ferry from Masbate to Pilar without going back to Masbate City.

- from which port in Masbate (Cawayan/Cataingan) serves Pilar, Sorsogon?

Thanks in advance!

James

49 replies to this topic
Cebu City...
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Polambato Ferry Terminal to Pilar, Sorsogon via Masbate

There are 2 ferries departing at 12am in Polambato port, one is heading to Cataingan, Masbate and the other is heading to Cawayan, Masbate. The trip going to Pilar, Sorsogon is from Masbate City port. So it would be better to take the Cataingan route.

However, I dont know why you chose to depart from Bogo. There are ferries from Cebu City to Masbate in case.

Cebu City...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
12,329 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Polambato Ferry Terminal to Pilar, Sorsogon via Masbate

It may be possible to buy in Bogo City but there is an office at the pier where you can buy tickets.

Be aware that the pier is not in Bogo City but 5 kilometres or more out of town. You can catch a bus heading to Maya or Hagnaya to the pier turn off but it is still about a 2 km walk to the pier from the turn off. There are tricycles that will take you from the turn off to the pier and vice versa. When i caught the tricycle in August, it was P10 per person plus P5 per piece of luggage.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,318 posts
2,267 reviews
3. Re: Polambato Ferry Terminal to Pilar, Sorsogon via Masbate

A year ago I travelled on the Masbate to Pilar ferry that departed mid morning. It was a pleasant four hour or so trip with about 200 passengers.

Masbate Province...
1 post
4. Re: Polambato Ferry Terminal to Pilar, Sorsogon via Masbate

there is a daily (8 pm departure) roro bus (montenegro) in cebu north terminal that goes direct to masbate city taking the bogo boat for cataingan. it usually arrives in masbate city 9 am and goes direct to masbate port. ticket can be bought at the terminal anytime of the day.

there is also a cokaliong ferry every friday cebu to masbate. departs cebu 6 pm, arrives in masbate city 6 am.

there are a lot of options for the masbate city to pilar, fast craft (not so fast though), roro boat, outrigger banca from 4 am till 2 pm.

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: Polambato Ferry Terminal to Pilar, Sorsogon via Masbate

There will be a ferry from Polambato port to Bulan, Sorsogon soon. Bulan is a 3hr drive to Donsol; if you are heading for the whale sharks.

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
6. Re: Polambato Ferry Terminal to Pilar, Sorsogon via Masbate

Thanks everyone for your valuable input.

I will probably call the ticket office at the pier to book a ticket to Cataingan and the 0830hrs ticket to Pilar.

The reason why I choose to depart from Bogo instead of Cebu City is because I will be in Malapascua the day before. And since tickets can be bought at the pier then I intend to leave Malapascua in afternoon and head straight to Polambato F.T. rather than heading to Bogo City.

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
52 reviews
7. Re: Polambato Ferry Terminal to Pilar, Sorsogon via Masbate

That would be great. Better be safe than sorry

Cebu City...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
12,329 posts
53 reviews
8. Re: Polambato Ferry Terminal to Pilar, Sorsogon via Masbate

I intend to leave Malapascua in afternoon and head straight to Polambato F.T. rather than heading to Bogo City.

-------------------------------

If travelling by bus, make sure you tell the conductor where you want to go so you will be dropped off at the turn off.

If travelling by V-hire, there is a small possibility the driver will detour for you. It certainly will not hurt to ask

Cebu City...
2 posts
9. Re: Polambato Ferry Terminal to Pilar, Sorsogon via Masbate

Hello! Have you taken this route already? would you mind sharing your experience? I am going to Legazpi, Albay from Cebu on 07/29 and I am actually having second thoughts on which route I'll take. I have taken a look into Cebu to Masbate via Cokaliong and this is actually okay. My concern is the route coming back to Cebu. I'm just wondering if it's possible to go back to Cebu City on early morning of July 31st. Any ideas will be highly appreciated. thanks

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
52 reviews
10. Re: Polambato Ferry Terminal to Pilar, Sorsogon via Masbate

The trips from Caitingan and Cawayan going to Polambato departs 12pm. I dont think you will beat the time

Reply to: Polambato Ferry Terminal to Pilar, Sorsogon via Masbate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bogo