We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gansbaai - Shark Diving

2 posts
2 reviews
Gansbaai - Shark Diving

Hello,

I'm planing to dive with shark at Gansbaai in September, and I would like to know if there is a company/ies that refund total or part of the amount if no shark is seen. If yes, what are the names ?

I could not find it alone.

I appreciate you help.

Thanks,

Erich.

8 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
1. Re: Gansbaai - Shark Diving

Mmmm, I wonder. This I have never heard of.

No company can guarantee nature.

I think you get a refund if weather prevents the boats form going out, though.

Others may know more.

It would be like asking for a refund of your entrance money at Kruger Park if you did not see Lion :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
133 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Gansbaai - Shark Diving

From memory, the local shark diving company would let you go again on another trip if you didn't see anything. Shark Bookings I think they were called. My one experience with them was pretty poor. Called the day before to tell us it was off and they'd organised for a trip out of Simons Town. Neglected to mention how much more expensive it was, and in the end didn't refund the deposit I paid them for their trip

2 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Gansbaai - Shark Diving

Thanks for the answers !!! The life is risk, What are we going to do with life without risk?

United States
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
68 reviews
4. Re: Gansbaai - Shark Diving

Contact the companies you are considering or check on their websites to see their policy. Most that we checked on would not refund if we didn't see sharks but would have refunded if they couldn't go out at all and we couldn't have gone on an alternate day. Don't use a broker so that you don't run into the issues poster #2 did. I can recommend Great White Shark Tours and Marine Dynamics (first 2 on the list) these were the only 2 boats that were able to get out of the harbor on the days we dove in September.

gansbaaiinfo.com/activities/…

Level Contributor
44 posts
5. Re: Gansbaai - Shark Diving

What are the rates per person.are they same or differ from company to company

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,278 posts
81 reviews
6. Re: Gansbaai - Shark Diving

When you have gone through the hole trip and gone out to sea to do the cage dive and no sharks shows up, then there is no refund for your trip. You will instead receive a voucher that you can use on any of your return trips to Cape Town to do the cage diving, which most of the companies tells you there is no expiry date on it. The only cost that you will have is the transfer fees from Cape Town to Gansbaai that you will have to settle again. With that said, there is no partial or complete refund for when you have not seen any sharks.

I would suggest to rather find a company such as Marine Dynamics and follow them on their social media profile and see what the sightings has been days before you are about to arrive in Cape Town and also maybe a day or so before you will do the trip. To get an idea of what the trips has been, follow them on Tripadvisor as well and see what the guests has been writing about them and how they have handled themselves on their trips.

All the companies in Gansbaai charges different prices and it will sometimes also excludes the transport fees from Cape Town to there and back. Most of them will provide their own transport of which they operate with small mini-busses that will collect and drop you off at your place of accommodation in and around Cape Town. The drive from Cape Town Kleinbaai where it actually takes place is about 2hrs15mins one way. I would also suggest if you are planning on going, book the early morning boat trip. The one that probably collect you at about 4am at your hotel in the morning to get you there at about 6:30am of where the boat gets launched at just after 7am.

All the best!

Hank Daries - Owner - Ulungele Tours & Safaris

United States
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
68 reviews
7. Re: Gansbaai - Shark Diving

<What are the rates per person.are they same or differ from company to company>

I gave the link to the operators out of Gansbaai in post #4, go to the websites of the companies and look. They all show the prices they charge for the trip alone and for the trip with a transfer. If you can't locate their prices on their websites, email them.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,635 posts
65 reviews
8. Re: Gansbaai - Shark Diving

I am a fan of the smaller boats for shark diving outside of Gansbaai. I think you stand a better chance of doing more than one dive if you are on such a boat.

Back in 2008, 2009 - I shot the video on some of the boats (this was just before they got their own videographers).

The one I liked the best is this one: http://white-shark-diving.com/ Besides their years of experience and attention to detail, they also have new shuttle buses and serve tasty meals before and after the dives.

Reply to: Gansbaai - Shark Diving
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted