We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Aire Bello?

New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Aire Bello?

Is anybody familiar with the Aire Bello? The website looks nice, but we all know that these looks can be decieving. I'm considering taking my girlfriend here, and neither of us have ever been to Tulum. I'd appreciate any advise ore suggestions anybody has.

Thanks !!

J

Aurora, Illinois
Level Contributor
73 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Aire Bello?

what is the website?

la playa
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Aire Bello?

A number of people have inquired about the vacation home: Casa Aire Bello; I too was curious as I ventured deep into the jungle for a week in paradise.

We booked the home in December for the 2nd week in March 2007. The owners, who commute between US and Tulum, were in constant communication with us - answering countless questions about the town, the home, and even setting up a sailing trip for us. No amount of descriptions could have prepared me for the beauty I found when arriving at the home. We arrived during a rainforest storm and found ourselves running through a beautiful jungle garden to enter the sanctuary of Aire Bello.

The rustic home boasts wind and solar power, a kitchen with a gas stove and a fridge, a shower and bathroom, and a gorgeous rooftop balcony. There is also a water cooler in the kitchen.

A number of hammocks surround the property.

We were six friends travleling to Aire Bello and slept with two in the living room on beds and 4 upstairs in 2 beds. When feeling adventurous, a few of us enjoyed a night under the stars on the rooftop double bed.

The best part of Aire Bello is probably across the street - a small gate marked "Private" which leads you to your own stretch of private, gorgeous beach. The home includes a hammock for the beach, a number of mats, an umbrella, snorkel gear, and a boogie board. Think: Swiss Family Robinson, with modern comforts.

In my opinion, any other way of living in this precious biosphere would be wrong. If you're traveling to Tulum - stay at Aire Bello and make the Jungle and the Sea your friends. You will find yourself rising with the sun and enjoying a private show of shooting stars each night. You may venture 2 minutes down the road and buy a kilo of homemade corn tortillas for $1. Or, venture a km to the south and explore the Sian Kaan Biosphere in a kayak. Or just a walk down the road, pay $2 to swim in the sacred Cenote of XamBalique.

We found ourselves turning on the electricity for only an hr or two each day. The many candles and lanterns around the home created a far more beautiful setting. The small TV upstairs with Satellite - didn't touch it.

I have been to Tulum several times and checked out a number of the Cabana options/ Pueblo options in the area. Aire Bello is a very reasonable option for a group of friends, a couple looking for a romantic getaway, or even a family with a couple of kids. The home is located at the 9KM marker, near Las Ranitas, so a rental car is a very good option - unless you really want to stay put for the week.

Here our some of our photos from the vacation - they were taken either on the beach directly in front of the house or in and around the house. Also, there are a few from the cenote down the road and from the biosphere (3 km south).... enjoy!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7518232@N06/

South Bend, IN
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Aire Bello?

After being back in the real world for a whole week, I've realized how much I truly enjoyed the simple living at Aire Bello. With the jungle sprawling out as far as you can see on one side of the house and the ocean on the other, the view from the rooftop is truly breathtaking and is one of the best benefits the house has. Furthermore, the beach is just amazing. It's a quick 60 second walk across the street to get to the beach, but it'd be worth it even if it took an hour. The beach is for your private use and comes with some great palm trees to set up a hammock and relax after riding the waves for an hour two.

A typical day for us consisted of waking up to the sun and the sound of the local wildlife (or earlier to watch the sunrise from the rooftop), going to the beach for a morning swim or a walk along the shore, swimming in the cenotes, or visiting local ruins. At night we would drive into the Pueblo to get some good local food (great prices, too), take a walk around the town, and then take a trip to the panadería before we headed home for the night. Once we got back, we'd all go up on the roof and enjoy the beautiful view of the night sky.

As far as the house itself goes, it was a nice, cozy atmosphere for the 6 of us. The stove and refrigerator were great to have for the week as it let us make a quick lunch while taking a break from the beach for an hour or two. As Yenifer said, the house has both solar and wind power, but electricity is far from a necessity when your staying on the sunny beaches of Tulum. The only real problem we had throughout the week was due to us using an excessive amount of water. With 6 people staying in the house, the shower got used quite frequently and we drained the water tank a little prematurely.

All in all, if you're looking for a quiet, relaxing vacation and you're comfortable living a less modern lifestyle out in the jungle, this is definitely a great option to look into.

Chicago
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Aire Bello?

Aire Bello, our home for six unforgettable nights in the Tulum jungle, offers a beautiful rooftop view and private beach just minutes away from the Sian Ka'an Biosphere. I would recommend renting a car as the house is a few miles from town and rather far from other hotels, making cabs infrequent but adding to the overall appeal.

A note about privacy: there is one door to the bathroom and two doors that lead outside. Other than that, the upstairs and downstairs are completely open and door-less. As a mixed-gender group of six, we often shouted "Caution, I'm changing" from the upstairs to the downstairs to prevent potentially awkward moments for those who might come upstairs at an inappropriate time. The method's not fool-proof, but it worked.

A note about cleanliness: Aire Bello is a solar- and wind-powered house in the middle of the Mexican jungle, not a five-star resort in a big city. We assigned chores to everyone in our group to keep the place looking nice (i.e. floors swept, bathroom clean, dishes washed), but I think the owners offer a cleaning service if desired. We had a few run-ins with big jungle bugs, but they were harmless and only added to the adventure.

A note about safety: we had no problems, especially since we kept the front gate locked at all times. There are people who "squat" or live in the surrounding jungle, but as long as you don't walk around alone at night they shouldn't bother you.

Our stay at Aire Bello was everything I could have wanted from a vacation: beach, stars, and silence. We didn't see any Americans (except for each other) until we went up the road for a catamaran trip on Day 6. If that's not "getting away from it all," I don't know what is.

Washington D.C. area
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Aire Bello?

I went with the above friends on our Spring Break to Aire Bello, and I can say I'm not alone when I express no regrets of having missed "MTV Spring Break" in Cancun, where some of my other friends were enjoying, but not remembering, their week.

When we arrived, it was unfortunately at night, in the middle of a torrential downpour that only the Yucatan jungle could deliver. But as I walked up to our rooftop beacon of paradise the following morning to the basking glow of the sun and the calming view of the beach an crisp blue water 100 yards before my eyes, I realized that we had chosen right.

Indeed, this feeling of oneness with nature characterized much of the trip. From conserving energy and water to adjusting our crazy student internal clocks to the natural cycles of the sun, it was a refreshing experience.

The owners made it all the more enjoyable, with their kind help, advice and occasional visits to check up on us to see that everything was going alright. Their love and passion for Tulum specifically and other cultures in general was evident, and this in turn shed light on our own tastes for the jungle/beach life.

It is a growing tourist town, but it is so quaint and secluded, and you come into contact with natives of the area so often that you really feel "miles away from ordinary", to quote a certain product's slogan, a certain product that was consumed with gusto, and whose foto bonito is on the link in Yennifer's message.

There are a couple things worth mentioning:

-keep the machete and hammer inside (great for decorations, you won't need them for defense, but they're there just in case);

-do not flush paper down the toilet at all, pretty much anywhere in MEH-EE-CO due to the constrained size of their sewage pipes;

-make use of the kitchen, as we did. A simple meal of huevos rancheros, burritos, or even oatmeal in a cup, can do wonders..all at your fingertips. Also, Sol and XX are the preference to Corona.

-always drink bottled water..even when brushing your teeth. Never swallow the faucet water. Luckily none of us had problems.

But note, that is is not limited to Aire Bello, but it is a nationwide trait.

Try to avoid fruits and vegetables you know were washed in that water as well.

-cenote ("ce-no-tay") down the road is great, and the guys there might be able to give you some advice on getting a good deal on a local product down the road.

-if you burn easily like me, bring plenty of sunscreen. SPF 50 in Mexico is like $15-20 a bottle. Also, bring Aloe.

This place would be a great romantic getaway. It is wonderful, and I recommend it, hands down. I wish you a safe and enjoyable trip!

-Miguelito, "el Caballero"

6. Re: Staying at Aire Bello?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 08:48