We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Instituto Chac-Mool Spanish School in Tulum MX

Davis, California...
Level Contributor
2 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Instituto Chac-Mool Spanish School in Tulum MX

My husband and I studied at Instituto Chac-Mool in Cuernavaca MX when it was located there. We learned a lot at that time and decided we would follow up and study in Tulum at the same institute. This is a school for foreigners who want to learn Spanish. We are retired and it is been my hobby to study and learn Spanish since I retired 12 years ago. My husband joined me after he retired. We are now in the advanced level and have been or several years, but we wish to keep reviewing and learning more vocabulary and slang. Our goals were met at this school and we encourage you to consider studying Spanish here. In our grammar class, our teacher quickly determined our weaknesses and also asked us what we wished to review. I now feel much more comfortable using the subjunctive mode in both present and past tense. In conversation we read about 50 percent of a difficult novel by Carlos Fuentes, "La muerte de Artemio Cruz." We studied his style in this book and his use of the life of Artemio Cruz as an allegory for the history of Mexico. As my husband mentioned, Carlos Fuentes used the dictionary to ensure he included every word in his novel. We expanded our vocabulary and discussed some intricate issues. Our teacher was our guide through the life of Artemio Cruz.

I suggest that this school would be a perfect place to start learning Spanish. One student with whom we overlapped had been there for four weeks and knew nothing when he arrived. He needs Spanish for his work. He was very motivated and I was amazed by the amount of Spanish he had mastered in four weeks.

This time we did not stay with a family as we also wanted to explore the area and so we rented a car for 2 1/2 weeks. We stayed at a small hotel: Posada Yum Kin, which we loved and we spoke Spanish with the staff for our practice. Because of hearty breakfasts there and a few snacks we kept in our kitchenette, we ate only two meals a day and explored many interesting restaurants in Tulum and near the beach. There is an amazing range of food served in Tulum, from traditional Mexican (although we did not find a traditional restaurant from the Yucatan) to Italian, vegan, Thai. etc. Buen provecho.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,805 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Instituto Chac-Mool Spanish School in Tulum MX

Thank you for this beautiful report. It will help many travelers!!

Cheers!!

california
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Instituto Chac-Mool Spanish School in Tulum MX

Buyer beware. This school is no longer in business in Tulum although their website is still in place. They will however take your reservation and place you into lesser-known school in the area without letting you know they are baiting and switching you.

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
249 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Instituto Chac-Mool Spanish School in Tulum MX

Hi Nipper30- que pena! Is this true? Are there other recommendable schools in Tulum for a short course? Anyone?

Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Instituto Chac-Mool Spanish School in Tulum MX

http://www.meztli.mx/

Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Instituto Chac-Mool Spanish School in Tulum MX

http://www.meztli.mx/

California
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Instituto Chac-Mool Spanish School in Tulum MX

This is a fantastic class to take if you want to learn Spanish with really wonderful caring people. The classes are outside and very casual. They focus mostly on talking not boring school type things like grammar and rules. Although they still make sure you understand the basics.The classes are small, most of the time one on one or two people per group so they can really focus on what you need individually to learn. I highly recommend Instituto Chac-Mool.

California
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Instituto Chac-Mool Spanish School in Tulum MX

I highly recommend Instituto Chac-Mool.

http://chac-mool.com/

Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Instituto Chac-Mool Spanish School in Tulum MX

I'm just off an amazing 4 weeks at Chac Mool Spanish School in Cuernavaca. The first time I stepped onto the grounds of the school I was welcomed as part of a nurturing family. I immediately found it to be a very comfortable and peaceful setting enhanced by passionate teachers. For me, they really knew how to structure each day to my specific level and rate of learning. It's a great way to submerge yourself in the language! To be honest with you, before I traveled down to Mexico I was not going to participate in a language immersion program. I thought I would simply learn the language via books and talking to people in Mexico. Now I realize that Chac Mool was the necessary component... the buffer that I needed to truly speak the language. I am so glad I changed my mind and decided to go. Thank you to my Chac Mool family. ¡Te voy a extrañar todos! (I am going to miss all of you).

http://chac-mool.com/

Los Angeles...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Instituto Chac-Mool Spanish School in Tulum MX

Studying at Chac-Mool was an amazing experience and I would definitely recommend it! I have studied Spanish in High School and University in the U.S. for about 5 years, but up until my time at Chac-Mool I was very uncertain about speaking. Since there were only a small number of students the week I was there I had the opportunity to work 1-on-1 with two different engaging and highly qualified teachers. Speaking a language you aren't very familiar with can be difficult and frustrating at times, but everyone was encouraging and understanding! I managed to improve my speaking skills in leaps and bounds and thoroughly enjoyed the classes and connections I made

One of the most wonderful parts of the school was staying with a Mexican host family. Although the housing was very simple, everything was clean, the food was homemade and delicious, and the family was incredibly sweet and friendly. I had a wonderful time practicing my Spanish and forming friendships with all of the family members. It was such a meaningful experience, and I learned a lot about traditional Mexican culture and customs.

Overall it was an excellent way to spend part of my winter break. Thank you so much Chac-Mool!

http://spanishschoolsinmexico.com/

Kentucky
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Instituto Chac-Mool Spanish School in Tulum MX

Classes at Chac-Mool were the best thing I've done to learn Spanish. Sure, you can wander around towns awkwardly ordering food or haggling at the market...or you can do a concentrated study program and learn it the right way.

I took three years of Spanish in high school almost 15 years ago, which means I remembered practically nothing. The excellent teachers at Chac-Mool (who are also a ton of fun) knew exactly what to do.

In my opinion, there is no better way to kick off a trip in Central/South America than taking these classes. Or just come down for a week or two and focus on Spanish. Cuernavaca is fantastic, the classes are excellent and you'll be glad you did it!