We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to rent snorkel gear?

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
227 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Where to rent snorkel gear?

We will be staying in Tulum at La Vita e Bella, and plan to got up to Snorkel for a bit in Akumal. Would it be easier/cheapier to rent gear for the day in Tulum, or in Akumal?

I had also considered going to Tankah Bay to snorkel--if I only have time for one or the other, what would people advise? We also plan to go to Dos Ojos and snorkel a bit in Sian Kaan.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to rent snorkel gear?

The snorkelling in Akumal Bay is easier entry and will almost always provide the superior variety and quantity of sea life . There are many other snorkellers there most of the time . There are resident turtles in that bay in addition to visitng turtles that you might see anywhere , including Tankah . It would be easiest to rent snorkel gear from one of two beachside dive shops in Akumal but perhaps not the best logistically for you . I suggest buying a mask and snorkel from home or on line and have them for all your snorkelling needs . You needn't spend a fortune for a mask and it pays for itself easily . You can get by without fins in cenotes and even at Tankah , if you do both which I recommend and possibly rent fins for Akumal to see more . You can be the only snorkellers at Tankah at any given time and that has it's own appeal . I really like Manatee cenote at Tankah as well . It's only 20 or 30 pesos and is more like a crystal clear stream than a cave or quarry as other cenotes are . The grand cenote is very handy to Tulum on the Coba road and is a good place to cool off as well . See this page for many hours of research material . Cheers http://www.locogringo.com/research/

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
227 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to rent snorkel gear?

Your answer was super-helpful. Thanks!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,840 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to rent snorkel gear?

Eeeeeewwwwww, why do people keep asking about RENTING snorkel equipment. D'you really think they sanitize the equipment between users? If you do, think again - you're lucky if it gets rinsed off in plain water.

I agree with juanrojo - bring your own mask and snorkel and rent fins if you decide you want or need them

Here's an article on how to fit a mask - …blogspot.com/2007/08/blog-post.html

PS - don't mean to pick on you Pitbull but lots have people have been asking about this lately and the whole idea of a borrowed snorkel just grosses me out!!

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
227 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to rent snorkel gear?

Well, me too, but I have been losing that argument with my husband.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,912 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to rent snorkel gear?

I travel with a small spritz bottle of isopropyl alcohol that has many uses - one of which is spritzing the snorkle mouthpieces. *Maybe* it sanitizes????

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
227 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to rent snorkel gear?

Just Returned from "Outdoor World" with mask and snorkel sets for $19.99 a piece.

7. Re: Where to rent snorkel gear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2013, 15:50