We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nudity on beaches in Tulum?

New England
1 post
Save Topic
Nudity on beaches in Tulum?

I read that nudity is common on the beaches near Tulum. Is that true? We'd like to be nude, but would only be comfortable if most other people were too.

We're traveling as a family and are not into drinking and partying so the Cancun-area resorts aren't attractive.

We'll be traveling in early November. Is that a good season? Should we expect a lot of mosquitos?

1. Re: Nudity on beaches in Tulum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 July 2010, 17:47
Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nudity on beaches in Tulum?

I've only seen topless a few times. I don't spend a lot of time on the beach, so that might make a difference. Nearly everyone wears complete swimsuits and I have never seen total nudity on any beach in Mexico (mostly Cozumel and Tulum) in 11 years. I don't believe you will find "most" women topless and not likely anyone nude.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nudity on beaches in Tulum?

there is some sort of flag flying near the Mezzanine that I was told represented a nude beach and there were some topless in the area but mixed with topped.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nudity on beaches in Tulum?

When we go to the beach, we usually don't do a beach club. So the beach in front of and next to Mezzanine is where we go.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nudity on beaches in Tulum?

The only officially c/o beach in Tulum is in front of Cabanas Copal, and Copal and its sister resort Azulik are c/o resorts, but even so they are by no means completely nude.

Many people say they walk down the beach all the way into the Sian Ka'an and find private bits of beach where they feel comfortable.

Toplessness is pretty common, depending on how many Europeans are in town.

I have been told that technically nudity is illegal on Mexico's public beaches (and all beaches are public to a certain point), but clearly this is not particularly enforced.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
474 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nudity on beaches in Tulum?

BR is correct,

any type of nudity is against the law in Mexico, but i have never seen that law enforsed. People do go topless but complete nudity is somehting that gets done on a personal level and mostly away from most people.

Most woman lay topless then dress when getting up

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,187 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nudity on beaches in Tulum?

Often when someone is completely nude - they have a sarong on and then drop it by the water's edge and swim naked in the sea.

NY
Level Contributor
186 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nudity on beaches in Tulum?

Saw several nude men walking up and down the beach in June...in front of Le Zebra, say 4-5, over 5 days. Many more women were topless and walking (some with the men), but not a large population either. The women were usually sunbathing and/or swimming.

Ohio
Level Contributor
37 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nudity on beaches in Tulum?

You don't have to be a guest of Cabanas Copal to use their palapas and chairs. They do appreciate you spending some money at the bar/snack bar.

expect about half the people on the beach to be nude.

We actually enjoyed hanging out at Papaya Playa, which is right next door to CC. It's more comfortable there, and only a minute or so away from the CO beach.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,454 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nudity on beaches in Tulum?

There weren't any times or places within a ~5 mile stretch where 'most other people were'. The area is relaxed and there might be 10-15% of the folks a/n in some more private areas of the beach.

That said, there are miles of near-pristine beach that have no-one on them, so you can further your fervor at will.