We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Robberies increasing in Tulum. Be careful.

NYC
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Robberies increasing in Tulum. Be careful.

My friends just returned from 2 weeks in Tulum. During their stay, 3 robberies occured. Thieves would enter the cabanas and steal whatever they could. In one instance the laptop of a fairly famous musician was stolen which contained all of his material from the album he was working on.

To confirm this, I talked to my friend who owns a house on the beach as well as the manager of one of the hotels. They said it was happening.

I was told they now have a gate stationed at the entrance to the hotel zone. Has anyone seen this? Who man's the gate? Private security or police?

I would caution anyone who plans on bringing a laptop, jewelry, photography equipment, ipods....to make sure your room has a save large enough to secure everything you need to keep safe.

My friends ended up keeping their stuff in steel suitcases secured by cables and locks.

Get in touch with the management of the properties you are staying at. Ask them about safes and security. And make your determination of what you will bring based on what you can safely keep in your room. Nothing puts a damper on a vacation like a robbery.

Sadly, though, I think all hotels/bungalows will need to do something to ensure that your valuable are safe.

Of course, you can just bring a bathing suit and book....but people don't do that anymore.

Fairfield,CT
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Robberies increasing in Tulum. Be careful.

Where did these robberies take place? Different hotels?? same hotels??

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Robberies increasing in Tulum. Be careful.

Thieve's "business" depends on availability and opportunity anywhere in the world. Sorry and thanks for the reminder to all to be aware.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,373 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Robberies increasing in Tulum. Be careful.

Thanks for letting us know.

Do you know what hotels were hit and what rooms?

Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
267 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Robberies increasing in Tulum. Be careful.

I would appreciate more details also. Going to Tulum in May and may reconsider bringing my mini laptop.

Thanks!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
41,802 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Robberies increasing in Tulum. Be careful.

Sorry to hear about it. But its not only Tulum, crime is up all over the area including Playa del Carmen and Cancun. From what I read, officials predict it will only get worse as unemployment in the area increases. And , of course, Cancun has the added problem of almost constant drug related assasinations--yesterday two more bodies found near the Cancun Merida highway. The good thing is--if their can be a good thing--the drug related violence is normally among the drug cartel people and not in tourist areas.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Robberies increasing in Tulum. Be careful.

If you don't absolutely need your notebook for work, don't bring it. If you can work from webmail, don't bring it.

Also ask to see if your hotel has safes, and whether it's a communal safe at the front desk, or whether each room has them.

Level Contributor
7,485 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Robberies increasing in Tulum. Be careful.

I often wondering if there was a problem...so many small cabanas right on the water...acessibility very easy and get away right down the beach...couple that with tourists enjoying the laid back atmosphere and sort of feeling out of touch with the world and then locals with a totally different standard of living....crime is inevitible...good warning. I have often walked by places on the beach totally open and also noticed the amount of high price items brought by tourists...i.e. the laptops etc...good idea to leave it all at home.

NYC
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Robberies increasing in Tulum. Be careful.

It was Casa de Miel. Additionally, 4 other hotels got hit on that day. But the thing is, it could have been any hotel.

It's very important that the hotels put safes in the rooms. You shouldn't have to worry about your possessions (whatever they may be) when eating, napping, or strolling on the beach.

minn
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Robberies increasing in Tulum. Be careful.

We just back from that area last Saturday. We heard of no theft of any kind and there is no gate anywhere in the beach area. When going anywhere, use common sense and have a great time.Most beach hotels have safe deposit boxed of some sort.

NYC
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Robberies increasing in Tulum. Be careful.

I don't know what the point of your post is. That's great that you didn't hear of anything. Why would you possibly chime in here? Are you saying I am spreading rumors?

The name of this webiste is TRIP ADVISOR. I am merely advising my fellow travellers to be more careful this time when they go down to Tulum. I can think of no more apropos post.

My friends (who are savvy world travellers from S.A.) gave me this advisory and I am passing it on. Last Xmas I was in Tulum and left my laptop as well as my $2000 camera out all day because I felt that there was no risk.

There is an INCREASE is reported theft right now. Whether its due to opportunism, the economy, chance---it's still happening.

So be advised.