We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lizards??!

PA
Level Contributor
906 posts
27 reviews
Lizards??!

Are there a lot of lizards around? Do they get into the rooms? I have a true bug/lizard phobia, and would freak if I saw one in my room. Please be honest with me!!

Do they also have large lizards/iguanas? When I was in St. Thomas, there were large ones always walking around the pool area.

How about the ruins?? Will I see a lot there? Big or small??

Thank you so much!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,091 posts
157 reviews
1. Re: Lizards??!

From my experience, its common to see them most everywhere. The little ones often inside and the iguanas outside--and yes , at the ruins.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
7,231 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: Lizards??!

Geckos are the really little guys with sticky feet that you might see high up on a wall or in the corner of a ceiling. They can fade to blend in with the color of wherever they are, but they are your friends--they eat lots of bugs and skeeters. They do tend to chirp rather loudly from time to time, but I'm happy to have them around eating bugs for me.

The iguanas usually stay outdoors, and yes, there are fairly large ones at the ruins.

Zurich
1 post
1 review
3. Re: Lizards??!

During our stay in January i was actually disappointed that we did not see any iguanas at all

not even at the ruins, neither were there any

lizards or geckoes in our cabana, or anywhere else

for that matter, should not worry too much if i was you.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,349 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Lizards??!

You will see iguanas in just about all areas except in town and directly on the beach, but if there are rocky areas (like near La Conchita, Zamas or Azulik) you will see them on the beach.

Chances are you'll see small ones in your rooms - especially if you have a thatch roof. You might do best getting a room with solid concrete walls and roof.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Lizards??!

nuttyone...get ready...they are everywhere..

I'm not sure where you are from (I know, PA, but..) around here, rabbits and squirrels and other critters are all over the place..well there...lizards and iquanas are. For me, they don't bother me..for you..that will be another thing.

Last year, hubby and I went for a drink at the pool bar, left our stuff on our loungers..came back to find that the lizard (the big iguana we had been watching all afternoon) had decided that he liked my bathing suit cover up (or didn't like it!!) and came and took a POOP on it! UGH!!!!!!!! so ...like I said..get ready! their poop "ain't" small either. Oh, we laugh now..but I was not laughing then..at first..(it was funny though..it really was..)

Don't let them change your mind about going to Mexico. It is my most favorite place to vacation. you will love it, critters and all.

Fairfield,CT
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Lizards??!

Ahhhh those Mexican gheckos!!!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,349 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Lizards??!

iguana droppings = small cat droppings in size

It can be shocking!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
60 reviews
8. Re: Lizards??!

Where are you staying?

There are lizards, geckos, and iguanas pretty much everywhere and they usually do get into the rooms. If you stay on a second floor room, then you will probably only have geckos.

The ruins also have a lot of lizards and iguanas.

indiana
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
9. Re: Lizards??!

They are all onver the place but, they don't bother you. They are more interested in sunning themselves than they are with you. Actually you probably bother them more than they bother you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
60 reviews
10. Re: Lizards??!

Right, good point. Unless you feed them, they will run away from you.