We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum; Bugs in bad places. Suggestions?

Vancouver, WA
4 posts
Tulum; Bugs in bad places. Suggestions?

We are looking at staying in a Cabana. Bugs are realy no big deal to me. But I'm looking for good suggestions on the best way to live with them, or keep them in their place.

I hate them getting where they don't do any kindness. Such as, in luggage, clothes, shoes, bed (under sheets or pillows). You got the idea. The one's that aren't visible -- then when you find them you scream like a girl.

Your best first-hand ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,349 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Tulum; Bugs in bad places. Suggestions?

never actaully had problems with bugs. We have had lizards in our room, a bird (if I'm remembering correctly), and a crab...

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Tulum; Bugs in bad places. Suggestions?

Possible critters in your cabana (depending on where you stay): mice, snakes, tarantulas, scorpions, various insects, iguanas, geckos. That's the norm, though I've also seen bats, skunks, and tejones get into cabanas.

Keep luggage zipped up when you're not using it. Shake out shoes before putting them on. Check under the sheets and pillows before you get in bed.

NEVER EVER keep food in your cabana. That is an open invitation for guests of the unwanted kind.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
7,231 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Tulum; Bugs in bad places. Suggestions?

I've never had bug issues in my cabanas. Some ants once, but they were easily taken care of. A tiny spider in my sink, that's about it.

Holly's right, keep food away and the bugs will pretty much stay away. The geckos eat a lot of bugs, so they are your friends.

Keep your luggage closed and that should be enough. I don't even bring shoes other than flip flops anymore, so that part's not a problem. If you're bringing sneakers for some specific reason, i.e., not wearing them every day, maybe put them in a plastic bag until you need them? Just a thought.

Reading posts like Holly's makes me wonder if I've just been very lucky, but in over 25 nights in 6 or 7 different places, bugs have not been an issue.

Vancouver, WA
4 posts
4. Re: Tulum; Bugs in bad places. Suggestions?

Oh, thank goodness, Holly's post was a little scary, but not enough to change our minds about going. Thanks to all for your experiences!

Amstelveen
9 posts
5. Re: Tulum; Bugs in bad places. Suggestions?

well, the best is as already said, don't keep food in your cabana, check your beddings before going to sleep don't leave your luggage or pockets of your bacpack opened...

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
60 reviews
6. Re: Tulum; Bugs in bad places. Suggestions?

Keep in mind that I lived in Tulum, on the beach, for years. So I've pretty much seen all the bugs there can be. I think I posted the worst case scenario.

Also, since Tulum has grown a LOT over the last few years, there are fewer critters. I don't see too many snakes or tarantulas anymore, but they are still around.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Tulum; Bugs in bad places. Suggestions?

BTW, I loved your "scream like a girl" comment. I thought about your post last night after I got into bed and didn't check anything under the covers. I guess I don't check anymore.

I used to be really afraid of scorpions, until I got stung by one, and then I realized it wasn't that big a deal.

8. Re: Tulum; Bugs in bad places. Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 23:48