We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to keep money safe

connecticut River...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
how to keep money safe

money belts - neck pouches - Safety Deposit Box at Cabana (tita tulum)

What is everyone's best advice on this issue

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,364 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: how to keep money safe

At Tita's a safe box will be fine. She runs a tight ship.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: how to keep money safe

Now I'm confused. I am going to Dreams Tulum Resort in May. I assumed most hotels have safes in the rooms. Is this not true?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: how to keep money safe

Dreams Tulum is one of two large, AI hotels in the Tulum area. The rest of the hotels are small hotels, many are cabanas. Most do not have safes in the room.

I would say to keep everything in the safe. Is it a private safe in your cabana, or a communal safe in reception? If so, make an inventory of what you're depositing to be clear about what you're leaving there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: how to keep money safe

Also, don't leave valuables of any kind on the beach while you go snorkeling.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,649 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: how to keep money safe

My feeling is "dont bring more than you can afford to lose"...I've read of many people staying at an AI resort bringing 1K in CASH?!

My suggestion is to store $$$ in an odd place- like in an inner pocket of your suitcase with your underwear, or in a drawer or flat in a book.

Loxley, Alabama
Level Contributor
170 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: how to keep money safe

We had money go missing from our locked safe in our room. We noticed this the last day before leaving, It was not a substantial amount, so we didn't bother reporting it. We had a frustrating issue in dealing w/ the front desk earlier in the week, so we just blew it off as a lesson well-learned.

Someone else had mentioned a similar issue on the Dreams website form.

7. Re: how to keep money safe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 08:47