We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaweed Issue?

Bellingham...
7 posts
Seaweed Issue?

Hi!

I have never been to Mexico, and I have a trip booked to Tulum at the end of this month (May 2018)

I keep reading about a seaweed problem at the beaches and in the water, even sometimes turning the ocean a brown color?

Has anyone traveled there recently and could enlighten me on their expiernce? It would be beyond appreciated, we just to make sure we know we are getting into! The pictures you see are incredible and the water is clear blue, I would hope to see the same : )

Thank you so much!

Edited: 15 October 2018, 15:15
31 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Seaweed Issue?

Hi there!

We arrived on Tulum yesterday and are staying at a hotel on the beach down the ruins end. Where we are is a small cove and there is a lot of seaweed. There are workers there removing it but yes the water is brown. Not sure about the rest of the area though.

Hope that helps!

Bellingham...
7 posts
2. Re: Seaweed Issue?

Thank you SO much! That helps me out a ton!

Is there areas that are worse than others?

I hope you have a great time!

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
91 reviews
3. Re: Seaweed Issue?

Here is a tulum webcam to check.

https:/…

Bellingham...
7 posts
4. Re: Seaweed Issue?

Thank you so much for that link!

You can see the brown coloring pretty clearly!

I hope there are spots along the coast that aren't as bad.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Seaweed Issue?

I was there last week and stayed at the Cabanas from Tues-Sat. First 3 days were fine, no real issues of seaweed around our hotels however you do see it pilled up in between the resorts on the beach. Water was decent enough but there was a good amount of seaweed. We had lunch at Mezzanine on Thursday and was really taken back of how bad the seaweed was over in that area. The water was brown like that of a river and it also smelled really bad. We almost stayed there so I was glad we didn't. However on Friday which was our last day the seaweed was back on the south part of the beach. It was not at bad as the North side but it was an eyesore.

Bellingham...
7 posts
6. Re: Seaweed Issue?

Thank you so much for the info!

I am hoping it clears by the time we get there!

I am also staying at Cabanas! How did you like your stay? Any insight on things to be aware of beforehand?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Seaweed Issue?

1) Get a beachside room if you can. 2) Bring Pesos beforehand or get some right when you get there. God knows how much money I lost paying with US $ because of their exchange and my ignorance of how much change I should be getting back. 3) Ziggys has a great breakfast no need to go anywhere else for breakfast. 4) Tulum can be expensive, see where the happy hours are and have some good budget friendly places to go along with your Arca's and Hartwood's. 4) Visit the Cenote's. We went to Casa Tortuga cenote and had a great time. Not crowded at all an had the whole cenote to ourselves. 5) if you visit the ruins don't go there at 12:30 like I did, its hot with no shade, go early or better yet visit another cenote. 6) My regret was not going into the Pueblo and spending too much money on some of the fancier restaurants while not exploring some of the more modest places which may have been better. Arca and La Eufemia were my favorites places. NAST transfer was $150 which was cheaper then what the hotel had lined up.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 04:01
Charlotte, North...
3 posts
8. Re: Seaweed Issue?

My boyfriend and I have been here over a week. The seaweed issue is much worse than I’ve read about on the forums before I got here. It’s made the beaches pretty much unenjoyable our entire stay. Hoping it clears up by Thursday when we leave. We’ve spent most of our time at the cenotes, which honestly has made the trip worthwhile.

Bellingham...
7 posts
9. Re: Seaweed Issue?

Oh my goodness, that is crazy! I had no idea it was that bad!

Is it something that can come and go?

I heard the cenotes are incredible, any favorites?

Thank you so much for your info!

Bellingham...
7 posts
10. Re: Seaweed Issue?

You are awesome!

Thank you SO much for all your information and guidance.

I will be sure to follow suit with your recommendations : )

Reply to: Seaweed Issue?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tulum