We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6:30 a.m. flights

Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
6:30 a.m. flights

okay - so do we REALLY need to be at the airport 3 hours ahead of time for a 6:30 flight (out of a smaller airport)? i mean, the staff aren't even there at that time (a coworker arrived at a regional airport 3 hours ahead of time and had to wait over an hour for staff to arrive!)? what's a reasonable target time?

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6:30 a.m. flights

YES! There'll be a line a mile long, then there's security and the bag search you may to endure.

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6:30 a.m. flights

Hi kniggets, it is hard to say our of a smaller airport, but there is a reason they say 3 hours, just in case there is a problem on the highway with traffic, etc., your bags get searched and you have to re-pack, problems with passports, etc. Not to say that will happen to you, but I am paranoid when it comes to that. We are always 3 hours early for our 6:15 a.m. flight. Yes I know, hurry up and wait, but would rather be safe than sorry. In Toronto there are a bunch of duty free shops, restaurants and the like, so we have more to do and yes they are open at that time in the morning, they open at 5:00 a.m.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6:30 a.m. flights

We ran into this problem on our last flight to Jamaica. First of all the guy running the shuttle from our hotel (we had to stay over in our departure city the first night) was reluctant to take us and drop us off, he said the airport wouldn't even be up and running. We finally convinced him to take us, and he was right. We stood there a good 1/2 hr., but, hey, we were first in line! Of course, there was no line.....

We got up at 3am for nuttin!

That was a different airline for us, we know the airline we use for Cancun, we just need to be 2 or 2 1/2 hrs. early. They'll bump us up in their line if there's a long line that day and it's getting close. Usually there isn't that long of a line, though.

It sounds like this is a new situation for you. You might want to call out to the airport and ask what time they start manning the counters.

Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6:30 a.m. flights

ya, i talked to the people i booked thru last nite..... gate closes 45 mins before flight. seats assigned on a first come first served basis. i'm torn. i'll call the airport. kinda dumb to be sitting for ages waiting for staff to show up.

Texas
Level Contributor
193 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6:30 a.m. flights

My husband and I fly Continental out of the San Antonio airport when we go to the Yucatan. We always print our boarding pass 24 hours in advance and just show up 2 hours early. We have not had a problem. We always take the 6:30am flight.

BURLINGTON ONT
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6:30 a.m. flights

I am going on same flight. Be there at 3:30 they finally have a Timmys at Hamilton on both sides of security.

Only 3 sleeps left!!!

Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6:30 a.m. flights

i hate tim's coffee. maybe have to suffer thru one or two tho......

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6:30 a.m. flights

What airline and airport are you flying out of? It depends. Some ticket counters aren't open all that early, though I have been bumped from my domestic flight in Mexico for not arriving 2 hours early.

But let us know about the airline...it all depends. American, for example, is usually there VERY early, at least at the Cancun airport.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 6:30 a.m. flights

We're flying out of Pearson @ 6am...wow was I angry when my flight got bumped. I'm so used to flying out in the late afternoon...grrr. To compensate, my tour operator has given us a 'Premier Package' that offers us later boarding and priority seating plus free seat selection. I'm still going to call and find out what this really means...can we show up only 1 hour early or still 2 or 3? But my advice is to check with the airline and see if they have a similar package. Also, if you pay for seat selection, you won't have to worry where you are in the line and that may buy you an hour. As for your return flight home, I think you might be at the mercy of your shuttle.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6:30 a.m. flights

The first time we went to Jamaica we took a flight that was at around 545 or something like that. We were told to be there 3 hours before. I think we got there around 230 am or so....maybe it was 3...they didnt open until 3 or 330...so we had to wait. It was stupid, but we were first in line to check our luggage. Then we just got to wait again on the other side. The second time we knew that we would just have to wait, no one was there that early for international departures anyways...but there were more people there when we got there later, but Id say there were less than 10 people so we didnt have to be there that early. This was flying out of O'Hare which is a HUGE airport. Id say GO early...but maybe just 2 hours.