We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe for two girls to rent car for day trip to Tulum?

Euless, Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Safe for two girls to rent car for day trip to Tulum?

I'm finding mixed reviews regarding driving in Mexico. I'd like to have the freedom of a car but is it safe?

Level Contributor
4,532 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe for two girls to rent car for day trip to Tulum?

Just to be safe - no.

Take the bus / ADO.

Others can fill in al the details.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe for two girls to rent car for day trip to Tulum?

There is nothing "unsafe" about driving a rental car. There may be irritations (such as unmarked speed bumps, unscrupulous gas attendants, etc.) but these do not threaten your safety.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe for two girls to rent car for day trip to Tulum?

Go to the right side where it says RENTAL CARS and read those links.

Have your bribe money ready if needed.

That is, if you still want to rent a car and drive with another girl.

People can tell you a million stories about how they did it and no problem, but that doesn't mean you will have their experience. (as you will see when you read those links!)

Or you might.

Depends on how lucky you feel. :-)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
433 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe for two girls to rent car for day trip to Tulum?

Have you considered renting a taxi for the day? We did that and could go wherever/whenever we wanted without having to drive ourselves.

Hilltown...
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe for two girls to rent car for day trip to Tulum?

I'm pretty adventurous and up for anything but I don't rent cars in Mexico. In Mexico you are guilty until proven innocent and even a small fender bender can get you in lots of trouble regardless of the insurance you choose.

I stick with the collectivos, buses, taxis and car services.

When I'm on vacation I don't want to have any stress in my days.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe for two girls to rent car for day trip to Tulum?

The smallest rental car with all insurances will cost less than 50 dollars a day including all insurances and gas . There are still many considerations to balance in deciding if driving and the freedom that offers is worth any stress of driving . We always drive with no problem . The driving itself is very simple on modern , well marked highways . If you only want to see the ruins and spend some time on a beach and maybe a little in town then public transit and cabs will work pretty smoothly and you can booze it up as you please for a similar cost . If you want to stop in at a cenote and Akumal and scout around a bit at the various Tulum beach clubs and the other beaches on the way home to PDC then the car is the way to go with a designated driver . The cab and driver for the day gives you lots of freedom and options as well but probably twice or three times the cost . It's a choice for you to make .

Euless, Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe for two girls to rent car for day trip to Tulum?

Thanks. I did read several threads and it seems like a better idea to just hire a driver for the day. We might try taking the bus into tulum as we are staying 2 nights on 5th ave and then hiring a driver from there too. I'm a little worried about getting stopped by policia. I've traveled to Mexico many times but never driven there. We just want to see tulum and maybe stop at a cenotes and a beach for a while. I'm not that into seeing the ruins. I prefer the less touristy places. Thanks for the advice. I think we've made the decision not to rent!

Morgantown, West...
Level Contributor
233 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe for two girls to rent car for day trip to Tulum?

Rented a car (week long) there on four different trips, no problems. However if you are only going to have it for the day why not take the less expensive option of taking a taxi or the bus and avoid any possible headaches.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe for two girls to rent car for day trip to Tulum?

scarletbkt -- good choice!!

10. Re: Safe for two girls to rent car for day trip to Tulum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 06:46