We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our experiences with USA transfer, collectivo, ADO & taxi

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Our experiences with USA transfer, collectivo, ADO & taxi

First of all, thanks to the good advice here! I learned so much by reading posts and probably would not have had the nerve to travel around the way we did without the forum guidance.

We had 4 in our group: my husband & I (3rd Riviera Maya trip), our 2nd with our 2 young adult daughters.

USA transfers for roundtrip airport to Playa del Carmen transport $120 usd. Easy to find the company when walking out of the airport through all the offers. On the way to our condo the driver stopped at a 7-11 so we could buy beer & snacks. On our return, we had an early flight & scheduled for 3:30am, the driver was there at 3:10. We were pleased with the service. Also pleased that the security guard at our Xaman Ha condo, took down our room # & last name as we were leaving.

We traveled by collectivo a few times. The first time was actually mentioned as an option by the desk clerk at the condo. I had at that point nearly decided we would use taxis. But it was easy to go to the street in Playa del Carmen where they line up, state our destination, and hop in.

A full collectivo travels fast, one with empty seats stops frequently until it is full. We found that the cost varied.

Playa del Carmen to Akumal 20 pesos/p

Akumal to Playa del Carmen 30 pesos/p. A collectivo was waiting at the highway.

Tulum to Playa del Carmen 35 pesos/p. We were downtown and waved down a nearly empty collectivo.

Playa del Carmen to Tulum ruins & return trip each 30 pesos/p. 2 collectivos were waiting on the street by the ruins.

The only hard part about traveling by collectivo for us was refusing all the taxi drivers.

We took the 9 am ADO bus from the Playa del Carmen 5th ave station to Coba for 84 pesos/p. We had considered using the collectivo, then the bus from Tulum, but getting on the bus in Playa seemed easier. We found that the bus stopped at Xcaret, Xplor & Xel-ha, plus 2 stops in Tulum--one at the ruins & one at the bus station. The trip took well over 2 hours, but it was comfortable and the stop was right by the Coba ruins parking lot.

We had bought one way bus tickets, so when we were done at the Coba ruins, the bus was not due for an hour. We hired a taxi to Tulum for $20 usd, then hopped on a collectivo. That collectivo broke down somewhere north of Akumal and it took about 15 minutes & 3 full collectivos that passed by to find room for 4 going to Playa del Carmen, however, we were in a shaded stop. As were discussing splitting into 2 groups, a van stopped with room for the 4 of us.

We felt like we had some added adventure on our great vacation.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our experiences with USA transfer, collectivo, ADO & taxi

Great info! I chickened out last week and used a tour company to get to Akumal. I am determined next time to use the colectivos.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Our experiences with USA transfer, collectivo, ADO & taxi

i had fun with colectivos

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our experiences with USA transfer, collectivo, ADO & taxi

Sounds like my trip to Coba as described here

http://tinyurl.com/26f992f

What is different is the ADO stops before Tulum. I wonder if that is tied to the package trips offered by Boletotal and if it is just the 900 AM bus, all buses to Tulum or a select few.

Congrats.....You have opened up your options on getting places without a tour.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our experiences with USA transfer, collectivo, ADO & taxi

Colectivo, sorry I would have sworn it had 2 LLs.

CO_Pilot, your trip & the link within is one that I read and may have been responsible for our buying the one way ticket.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our experiences with USA transfer, collectivo, ADO & taxi

You did well. $20 USD for four people back to Tulum is probably not much more than a bus would have been if not cheaper.

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
180 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our experiences with USA transfer, collectivo, ADO & taxi

Love collectivos! I've always met a few people to chat with during the ride, but then I've been accused of being a bit chatty.... :-S

Plymouth, PA
Level Contributor
821 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our experiences with USA transfer, collectivo, ADO & taxi

You had an Adventure that you can tell your Grandchilden about!

You are a Traveler and NOT a Tourist!

Well Done!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our experiences with USA transfer, collectivo, ADO & taxi

Sounds like you have fun where ever you go!

los angeles
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our experiences with USA transfer, collectivo, ADO & taxi

My 23 year old daughter is traveling along to Akumal and will probably take the collective from Playa del Carmen to Akumal area. ANy concerns or suggestions?

los angeles
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our experiences with USA transfer, collectivo, ADO & taxi

My 23 year old daughter is traveling alone to Akumal, taking the collectivo from Playa del Carmen to AKumal. ANy suggestions on where to get to collectiv0 in Playa, and is it safe to get back on at Akumal to travel farther south to Sudzal? She is very worried as she will be alone. She does speak Spanish.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.