We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deposit due....what to do??

East Coast
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Deposit due....what to do??

Our TA is basically telling us that our final payment is due tomorrow. The resort -Secrets Carpi- will be open by our travel date of Dec 7th. But ....should we do it? I mean, the info is still really unclear as to what shape the resort is in and if there will be flights, etc. If we make the final payment, we basically are locked down. If we don't, we will no longer have this booking. I know there are a lot of people in our situation, travel in December and wondering...do we go? Will the resort be ok by then. We picked Capri Riviera Maya over SERC in DR because we thought it was a better resort, but do we go to DR, or chance it with Capri?? Were SOOOO looking forward to Capri since we booked in May. :(

Also, worried if Capri is one of the few hotels that is up and running, they will move a lot of the other hotel guests (Dreams, etc) to Capri and it will be overbooked and you know the problems that come when that happens.

I know our problems don't compare to those who are going sooner, or even worse, those that went through that experience IN Mexico, but just wondering if there is anyone out there in our exact situation and what are they doing about it.

The little news I've read about Capri has been so helpful. Thank you everyone for posting up to date information on this board!!!!

Worcester...
Level Contributor
148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Deposit due....what to do??

If you were my client (I'm an independent travel agent), and you're final payment were due tomorrow-I'd tried to sway you to another destination.

Silver Spring
8 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Deposit due....what to do??

There are so many other hotels you can go to that are further south. We were going to stay at the Ioberstar Lindo November 5th and the hotel did tell our agent they cannot accept anyone. Why don't you look into staying at the hotels that are further away from Cancun. See if any of those are available and are up and running now. Don't take any chances on the Secrets Capri. We had our heart also set on Ibostar Lindo. It didn't happen. So we looked at the Bahia Principe, Barcelo, and Palladium Grand and we chose to stay at Bahia Principe. My question right now is if we can get to the hotel safefully and of course the airport. If we do go and stay at the Bahia, I will write you back.

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Deposit due....what to do??

I agree with the posters who are saying to book somewhere else. We were due to arrive at Secrets on Friday 10/21. Initially or TA was saying that we could rebook without any fees or activating our insurance as long as we traveled by 12/16. She did not recommend booking until we knew what the full extent of the damage was going to be. No pressure whatsoever, and waiting ended up being to our benefit.

If the TA has your best interest in mind, he/she will provide suggestions for another destination. We are now going to Cabo in Nov. While it wasn't our original plan, we are relieved with our decision and have trust that our TA is looking out for our interests.

We plan to monitor the progress of Riviera Maya and hope to book a vacation there in the future.

Our hearts go out to all those affected by this disaster.

East Coast
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Deposit due....what to do??

Thank you everyone for your replies. We plan on telling our TA that we are going to hold of for two weeks to see how the resort is and to hear feedback from those who go when it opens on 11/2. By the way, can't you refuse to sign the waiver?

We went to Cabo two years ago. You will enjoy it. Very different from the "east coast" places. Visit the Cabo Wabo (you'll have a blast)! Stay away from the time share people, they are EVERYWHERE!!

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Deposit due....what to do??

We recently were at Capri for our honeymoon and left only days before Wilma struck. We loved it - could not have been more perfect. The resort was beautiful, and the people were wonderful. It was the PERFECT honeymoon.

Having said that, I think if it were me I would try to go somewhere else. I read somewhere over the past few days that most of the damage was sustained in the ocean front restaurants (Oceana and Grille) and the windows of the lobby. I don't know what the extent of the damage was, but I know personally those 2 restaurants were our favorites. Our favorite bar is located right behind the building. These I believe were to be the most scenic of all the choices. It was so wonderful to sit outside alongside the beach while you eat - there was something very magical about it.

I will definitely be going back to Capri, I would just be hesitant to go within the next month or two. Not because it won't be wonderful, because I am sure it will be. The staff and the management are amazing and will bend over backwards for you. Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you do.

Philadelphia, PA
9 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Deposit due....what to do??

Call me crazy, but we have decided to go to the Capri in November. We are scheduled to leave 11/14 and I'll post info about the resort after we return. After agonizing over whether to go to another location, we figured that even if the Capri is not 100% (but closer to about 90% - am I optimistic or what), it would still be better than every other resort we've been to in Cancun, Jamaica and Aruba (but maybe not Barbados) - and we've stayed at a vairety of resorts - including some of the best in those areas. Another consideration is that at this point, we are having trouble getting a good flight elsewhere and we have to go the week of the 14th or not at all (free babysitting is very hard to come by). I'll keep you posted on how the week fares!!!

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Deposit due....what to do??

Kim - I look forward to your post when you return. We are worried that Dreams in Cabo won't be as nice as Secrets, but at the time we made our decisions, it didn't look promising for Riviera Maya before the end of the year.

However, it sounds like a lot of progress is being made. I hope everything works out for you and your trip is fantastic.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
429 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Deposit due....what to do??

Actually I am glad to see the replies you are getting because it makes me feel better. We DID go ahead and change the trip we were planning in December. Our resort was the Royal Gran Porto. Like everyone else we keep getting conflicting reports. I know the "Real" company has put out a report that the Royal is up and running and has been since the storm (supposedly because it is so new is was built to withstand more), BUT I'm sure the "Real" company is trying to save their business. It may in fact be fine but I really hate to take the chance. We have been to the "Gran Porto Real" three times and watched the "Royal" go up and were really looking forward to staying there. Our TA moved us to the Sandals Grande Ochos Rios. Never been there (except on a cruise and to be honest was not impressed). I guess when you are "under the gun" you will do anything. She assures us that it is wonderful and we are trusting her advice since we have used her for years and haven't been stirred wrong yet. I guess we will just look forward to another "Playa" trip in the future.

East Coast
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Deposit due....what to do??

Hello everyone. OK, my TA is now working with us. She said we have options. She is going to try and extend the final payment date as much as possible. She did mention the waiver that AMEX travel will want us to sign. I told her I had heard about that (thank you forum members!), and I said I would not sign anything until I heave read a number of reviews from people who have visited the resort before us. So at minimum, I would not pay/sign anything until mid November. I hope they hold off until then. So I am hoping that those people who visit early November let us all know how things are. Our other option (she is looking at prices) is to wait until the end of April. January/Feb/March are priced at twice what we were paying. So we'd have to wait a few more months. :(

Our final option, which I really don't want to do, is to pay $60/pp more and go to SERC in DR. I researched all three resorts prior to making the original booking and I just have my heart set on Capri. So we'll wait and see!

Thank you so much everyone for your responses. Not just to this question, but all of the valuable information that has been posted ever since the storm. My TA said I sould be a TA with all of the info I had. :)