We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aquatic Expedition by Emilio -- a wonderful excursion

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
234 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Aquatic Expedition by Emilio -- a wonderful excursion

While in PDC over the holidays, hubby and I really enjoyed the day we spent on the Aquatic Expedition by Emelio. Emilio himself was driving our van and kept us entertained on the drive to Akumal -- quizzes with lollipops for the correct answer.

Once in Akumal, we snorkeled in Akumal lagoon. It was pretty windy so we stayed toward the back of the lagoon. Pepe and Oscar were in the water with us (a total of 12 people -- six from a second van). Pepe led the way and Oscar did the demonstrations -- in one cave entrance and out another. Some on the tour chose to follow him. (Not me!!!) We didn't see any turtles but didn't really expect to as we had been told turtle "season" ends in November.

We loaded up in our vans -- now with Pepe driving ours -- and headed north to the second snorkeling site. We drove down a very bumpy dirt road (Pepe calls it a "Mexican massage") to get to our site -- the first cenote. This one was open, like a swimming hole with really tall rock walls around it. (Yes, there are stairs for those who don't want to jump in.) Really nice.

After this, we went to a roadside location for lunch. It was decent (chicken, tortillas, beans, spaghetti). The food was brought in and served in a small pavilion. People could sit at tables under or around the pavilion. I opted for the latter as I wanted to sit in the sun.

The drive to the third site -- a cenote, this one in a cave -- was down a really long, bumpy road. (Sit toward the front of the van if you have a choice; otherwise, kick back and enjoy your second "Mexican massage.") Once at the location, we walked up to a large hole in the ground and decended down stairs into a cave. (Hubby couldn't believe I went down the stairs, let alone into the cave!!!) There are lights in the main cavern and Pepe and Oscar carry underwater flashlights as they lead the group. There are stalagtites and stalagmites, some of the former low enough that you have to be careful when you lift your head out of the water. I have never done anything like it.

What made this tour as good as it was is the people. Emilio (who left after the first stop), Pepe and Oscar are very pleasant and wonderful hosts. There are also two photographers with the tour -- Chucho and I can't remember the second guy's name. I kind of avoided them early in the tour, figuring I didn't want to have to deal with the hard sell at the end. What they offered were CDs of all the photos they took of you throughout the day for $30. The photo quality was excellent and we did not hesitate to get the CD.

usa
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Aquatic Expedition by Emilio -- a wonderful excursion

thanks for the write up. it was very informative and a tour i might just consider now. thanks again

greenwich, ct
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aquatic Expedition by Emilio -- a wonderful excursion

How do we contact Emelio? What does the expedition cost per person? Sounds like fun.

myhobbes1096
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Aquatic Expedition by Emilio -- a wonderful excursion

I have been on this tour with Emilio 6-7 times. Each trip was a pleasure. It is a first rate group that he has working with him. I had lost touch with Emilio the past 3 years or so until I found a video on you tube, "Riviera Maya Aquatic Expedition". There is a van in the opening with his logo and phone number 886-8810 also a cell 9988-457051. Also there is a email address of cetour@prodigy.net.mx. I hope this helps. I am going down in May with my new wife, it will be her first time in a cenote. It will be a pleasure to see him again.

myhobbes1096
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aquatic Expedition by Emilio -- a wonderful excursion

I have been on this tour with Emilio 6-7 times. Each trip was a pleasure. It is a first rate group that he has working with him. I had lost touch with Emilio the past 3 years or so until I found a video on you tube, "Riviera Maya Aquatic Expedition". There is a van in the opening with his logo and phone number 886-8810 also a cell 9988-457051. Also there is a email address of cetour@prodigy.net.mx. I hope this helps. I am going down in May with my new wife, it will be her first time in a cenote. It will be a pleasure to see him again.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aquatic Expedition by Emilio -- a wonderful excursion

We too did the snorkel adventure with Emilio and had a great time though a lot of it was spent in the vans. Ya Kul lagoon was very interesting and not particularily busy. It was a calm day so we were able to spend time snorkelling at the reef after we swam out to it. Emilio stirred up a nice sized stingray.

The two cenotes were also fun and Emilio's commentary really helped to make the day entertaining. However, if we had not been able to snorkel to the reef at Akumal, we would not have considered the trip worth the $90 USD each that we paid.

6. Re: Aquatic Expedition by Emilio -- a wonderful excursion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 19:50