We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Topic
Royal Playa vs. Gran Puerto Real

Hi,

I have stayed at Gran Puerto Real before but how does it compare to Royal Playa del Carmen? Are the two resorts close to one another-and are they sister properties? I"m just wondering how the pool/beach area and rooms compare. I'm looking for a new Playa place to go and I like to be somewhere that is close to the famous 5th Street.

Iowa
Level Contributor
949 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Playa vs. Gran Puerto Real

The Royal is a step up. It's adults only, jacuzzis in all rooms (and just more upscale rooms in general)and is on a better beach. It is directly north of the Gran, but with the pier between the two. You have access to all of the Gran when staying at the Royal, but not the other way around. Check out the reviews for the Royal on this website and look at all the candid shots and you'll see the difference since you've already been to the Gran. Have fun-we'll be at the Royal in Oct.!

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,766 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Playa vs. Gran Puerto Real

Same owners and across the street from one another.

Royal is adults only and has more luxury features. Bigger too. The rooms are the same size and there is a jacuzzi in all the rooms at the Royal. I still like the GPR but have stayed at both.

Pool is a bit of a wash but bigger at the Royal. It has a couple of soaking pools (one heated?) and a swim up bar. The Royal also has ballrooms and tennis courts.

new york
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Playa vs. Gran Puerto Real

Haven't stayed at either but I was just down there and have to say the Royal is beautiful all lit up at night.If I could afford it I would stay there,LOL.The location is perfect.

CJ

new york
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Playa vs. Gran Puerto Real

I was just reading the reviews for the Royal and had to laugh at the people that said they were in bed by 10-11pm every night because there was no disco and they didn't think the clubs in Playa were safe.Just thought it was funny that they found nothing to do in Playa at night,LOL.

CJ

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Playa vs. Gran Puerto Real

Playa rocks & is safer than New York or Toronto. Love the place, the smell, the atmosphere, the marg`s, the 2 for ones, the street muscians. Not even 2 mins from RPDC.

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,766 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Playa vs. Gran Puerto Real

Smell?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Playa vs. Gran Puerto Real

The smell of the tequila as its slowly poured ever the ice, the smell of the G.M. & lime as its added....mmmmmm I wonder if there are any last minute trips available this weekend?

8. Re: Royal Playa vs. Gran Puerto Real

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 18:50