We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reserving a seat on buses

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Reserving a seat on buses

We're planning to take an afternoon bus on March 28 to Celestun from Merida. Is it possible to reserve a seat or is it usually not a problem. It will be a Wednesday.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,390 posts
157 reviews
1. Re: Reserving a seat on buses

Shouldnt be a problem to get a seat. But the buses to Celestun are second class buses and no reserved seats.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Reserving a seat on buses

Are all departures basically the same, stopping as needed so arrival times could vary?

Edited: 08 March 2012, 23:55
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,390 posts
157 reviews
3. Re: Reserving a seat on buses

Yes, the buses stop anywhere to pick up or discharge passengers. But they usually are fairly accurate at estimating arrival times.

If you are traveling with luggage, send one person ahead to board and get the seats while the other stows the bags below on the bus. I travel alone and thats often a problem--by the time I stow my bags, not much seat choice.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Reserving a seat on buses

Thanks for that advice. So there is under-bus luggage stowing on second class bus? I thought there wasn't. Are the overhead racks not big? We'll have smallish rolling backpacks or duffles.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,390 posts
157 reviews
5. Re: Reserving a seat on buses

Yes, there is under bus stowing on second class buses. But you do it yourself. No baggage checking. The overheads are not huge. I doubt a rolling duffle will fit. Not that many dont try !Another reason to be first to board to be sure to find space.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Reserving a seat on buses

Will definitely heed your your advice!

7. Re: Reserving a seat on buses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:47
Get answers to your questions about Merida
Recent Conversations