We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Progreso want to go to Uxmal

British Columbia
Level Contributor
215 posts
54 reviews
In Progreso want to go to Uxmal

We are currently in Progreso and want to take a day trip to Uxmal. We are ok going with a tour for the sake of ease. Anyone know if we can do this from Progreso or do we have to go in to Merida?

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
141 reviews
1. Re: In Progreso want to go to Uxmal

If you want to join a tour group, rather than have a private driver, I assume you'd have to go to Merida. Have a look at www.turitransmerida.com.mx for an idea as to what's on offer.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
215 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: In Progreso want to go to Uxmal

I didn't realize we could have the option of a private driver - any idea how to find one?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
74 reviews
3. Re: In Progreso want to go to Uxmal

Here's a popular one: http://lawsonsdriving.blogspot.com/

Metro...
Level Contributor
869 posts
68 reviews
4. Re: In Progreso want to go to Uxmal

If you are in Progreso on a cruise ship day (usually Mondays or Wednesdays) you can go down to the area near the lighthouse and purchase a day trip to Uxmal with the cruise passengers. You will leave in the morning and be back around 3:00 PM. Check with Autoprogreso in their new bus station.

Enjoy

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
141 reviews
5. Re: In Progreso want to go to Uxmal

That's useful to know, WisRiver. It crossed my mind that it could be a possibility, but I was thinking you could only book at the deep water terminal (access to which is restricted).

Metro...
Level Contributor
869 posts
68 reviews
6. Re: In Progreso want to go to Uxmal

We had friends last year who went down to the area by the lighthouse and bought a tour to Chichen Itza. I assume you ca do the same for Uxmal. There only thing that is different this year is the new Autoprogeso terminal, so I do not know where the busses load. Never hurts to check.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
215 posts
54 reviews
7. Re: In Progreso want to go to Uxmal

What we ended up doing, was walking down the Malecon (on a non-cruise ship day) and finding a tour company located in the Playa Linda hotel. I believe it was called Cris tours and we got transportation with another couple, to Uxmal. Was a fabulous day, and very glad we went. Bit of confusion, as we were of the impression our driver would be our tour guide through the ruins, but turned out that was not the case. The other couple with us was under the same understanding. We did still have option of hiring a tour guide at Uxmal. In any event, it worked out.

Thanks to all those who responded! Appreciate it!

8. Re: In Progreso want to go to Uxmal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 23:46
Get answers to your questions about Merida
Recent Conversations