We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz Rental Car = Terrible Service

Sacramento...
2 posts
Hertz Rental Car = Terrible Service

I took a recent trip to Merida with my family (four adults and one child). We had made a reservation, with confirmation number, through Hertz to rent a Dodge Durango (or similar) for our time in Merida.

When we got there, we were told that there were no cars. None. It didn't matter that we had a reservation. It didn't matter that it was 9:30 at night and we had no idea what else to do. The agent said, "Don't blame me" and refused to help us further. He actually laughed when we said we reserved a Dodge Durango! He said we'd be lucky to get any car. It was insulting.

Looks like others have had problems with Hertz. I'd recommend going with one of the other rental car companies. I'm not doing business with Hertz anymore, anywhere in the world (and we travel a lot). I realize it was Mexico and standards are a different down there, but every other company that we dealt with while we were in Merida and the surrounding area were helpful and kind and gave us their best service.

f Hertz can't hold their offices to a higher standard, they don't deserve the business anywhere in the world.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
157 reviews
1. Re: Hertz Rental Car = Terrible Service

I hope you got the name of the "service" rep that laughed at you. This sounds like a horrible experience.

What did you do?

Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
105 reviews
2. Re: Hertz Rental Car = Terrible Service

That really sounds terrible! We just signed on a new affiliate (AVIS: http://www.yucatanliving.com/sponsors/avis-car-rental-in-yucatan.htm) and I sure hope they are better. I've used them twice and was happy both times. I've also had great luck with some of the smaller outfits in Merida, like the one around the corner from the Peon Contreras (can't remember the name. Their cars were older, but ran well).

I would write a complaint to Hertz corporate after something like that. Those people shouldn't be allowed to operate under their name...

Sacramento...
2 posts
3. Re: Hertz Rental Car = Terrible Service

We ended up hiring a driver for the week, for the times we were leaving the Merida area. It worked out well, but it would have been easier/cheaper had we been able to just rent a car!

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
155 posts
160 reviews
4. Re: Hertz Rental Car = Terrible Service

Hertz Cancun is terrible also. Exact same situation.

Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
105 reviews
5. Re: Hertz Rental Car = Terrible Service

Well, I can tell you from personal experience that they aren't all that way.

New Haven...
1 post
6. Re: Hertz Rental Car = Terrible Service

I'm sorry that you had such a horrible experience. On our recent trip to Merida, we used Avis and had not a trace of negative experiences with them. The staff were pretty fluent in English, offered us the exact quoted price from our online reservation, explained exactly what insurance was what and did not pressure us to buy the CDW, and were thorough in inspecting the car (with us present) upon picking up and returning the car...the car was basically new with little mileage, which may have made things easier too. Plus the prices were very reasonable (around MX1700 for 5 days). Would highly recommend them.

Edited: 19 March 2012, 00:07
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,363 posts
73 reviews
7. Re: Hertz Rental Car = Terrible Service

And to round out this post, I had a horrible experience with Hertz in Tulum. The compact car I wanted to rent wasnt available, and they wanted to give me a huge, brand new white SUV with blacked out windows at double the price. With the insurance it was like $700 for a week!

And, talk about a car that would make me a target for lots of stops by the policia.... and hassles at Pemex.

I thought car rental companies were supposed to honor the price if they have to stick you with a bigger car then the one you reserved. I so didnt want to drive, I took it as a sign that I wasn't meant to. It made the cab from Limones to Xcalak (and back again) a bargain.

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 20 March 2012, 01:19
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,363 posts
73 reviews
8. Re: Hertz Rental Car = Terrible Service

ugh - just noticed this is a 2 month old post!

9. Re: Hertz Rental Car = Terrible Service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2013, 14:53
Get answers to your questions about Merida