We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Find at Kabah Site

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,114 posts
157 reviews
New Find at Kabah Site

This might be of interest. A 1,000 year old Mayan kitchen has been discovered at this site:

…foxnews.com/slideshow/…1

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: New Find at Kabah Site

Very cool. Cannot wait to visit in May!

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
566 posts
294 reviews
2. Re: New Find at Kabah Site

Hope they find some pibil there!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,114 posts
157 reviews
3. Re: New Find at Kabah Site

Ha ha, I was thinking the same. I am always looking for good food.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
4. Re: New Find at Kabah Site

I believe the first "kitchens" were found in Kabah in the 1880s or 1890s. House mounds that surround the site each had a place (which apparently never changed) where food was prepared and cooked. The classic three-stone Maya hearth has been used for many millennia and has been found all over. But you never hear about those.

This was a kitchen for elites who had slaves or workers to prepare their food for them. As usual, the rich folks get the headlines while the 99 percent continue to dwell in obscurity ...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,353 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: New Find at Kabah Site

Thank you but, bummer! I was about to open this then realized it comes from Faux News. As much as I want to read it I cant subvert my principles and give them as much as 1 impression let alone a unique visitor for their web analytics reports! I also tend to doubt anything that comes from any Murdoch anything.

suitcaseready.com

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: New Find at Kabah Site

Your that affected by it. I did not know it had that much influences and power over peoples lives. Strange....

Edited: 23 November 2011, 04:28
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,177 posts
74 reviews
7. Re: New Find at Kabah Site

Sigh. If it's real news you can get it from more than one source.

www.google.com/search…

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
156 reviews
8. Re: New Find at Kabah Site

Interesting. This is probably in the area where there is a pyramid known as the Pyramid of the Witch or something to that effect, to which access was previously open, but roped off the last time I went, two weeks ago.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
9. Re: New Find at Kabah Site

Here's the official report by INAH (in Spanish):

inah.gob.mx/index.php/boletines/17-arqueolog…

The cocina was found near The Palace, one of the group of structures on the east side of the site behind Codz-Poop, the massive structure that is covered with masks of Chaak.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,114 posts
157 reviews
10. Re: New Find at Kabah Site

I read news from any source. It doesnt mean I agree. But do find this interesting. Anything food related I enjoy.