We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

biciruta

Pocatello, Idaho
Level Contributor
810 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
biciruta

So we'll be there on a Sunday in March - everyone is saying that the biciruta is a must do on a Sunday.

So what's the general deal / what's it all about? Is it like an open market street with bikes? Start at the south end of Paseo Montejo and rent a bike? Or just walk around? What is the "way to do it" for a first timer? Time of day? How long is the activity typically? I'm not sure I really understand what it actually is. I just know that I should be checking it out.

thanks

thomas

8 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,810 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: biciruta

While the entire route is much longer, I would rent a bike near the start of the Paseo Montejo and ride to the monument on the other end and come back. Is really just what it says, a bicycle route. Paseo Montejo is a beautiful Boulevard which is closed to vehicular traffic during the bike route. You will find a wide variety of bikes available from a normal bicycle to wounds caring multiple passengers.

Another nice thing to do is to stop somewhere along the Paseo and enjoy a breakfast. I often go to Cafe Sukra which has outdoor seating and a good place for people-watching along with live music on Sunday morning.

Siesta Key, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: biciruta

My wife and I do this route quite often....we own our own bikes. However, Telcel ‘rents’ bikes for free and there are other low cost options all along the route. We would recommend doing the ride earlier when bikes are available, and it’s a little less crowded.

Siesta Key, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: biciruta

They also do a bicinote (I think that’s the name) once a month.... a shorter closed route at night. Both routes are on the cities website, but it’s only in Spanish.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: biciruta

Also, I think it starts at 830 and they open the street to cars again at 1230. Peak time is 1000 - 1200. You can bike along Paseo but also onto Calle 60 and into the Plaza Grande (have to walk your bike) and then beyond to Plaza San Juan. Sometimes the route changes - or it is cancelled entirely - if there's a special event. The main bike rental spot is on the south end of the Paseo. Even if you don't want to bike, it's still very nice to stroll as there are more people around than usual - families, pets, artists; there is some art for sale. I also recommend sitting at Cafe Sukra; there's usually good music and the breakfasts are pretty good.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
247 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: biciruta

Tagging on to this thread ...

Are there smaller bicycles available that children could ride?

We will be there in March also - I was about to post same question!

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: biciruta

There is availability of bikes for children (those with small wheels attached to both sides of the bike). Look for bicimaya located in the north of the flag monument. Worthwhile

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: biciruta

The big rental place at the south end of the Paseo does not have them. They do have bikes with the kid seats in the back as well as various multi-rider and family configurations. I trust Raul's suggestion of Bicimaya as an alternative place to find kids bikes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: biciruta

Yes! there are bikes for kids and family bikes too. It costs 70 pesos an hour to rent a family bike. Leave your ID with the renters and off you go. I highly recommend doing the whole route because calles 64 and 64a are just stunning - my absolute favourite roads in this city. You can stop for ice cream or drinks along the way easily enough.

Reply to: biciruta
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Merida