We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for first trip in Merida?

Phoenix, Arizona
4 posts
Save Topic
Tips for first trip in Merida?

Hello! My husband and I are planning on moving to Merida after a lot of research. We just need to visit! We are visiting for a week in early February, staying in an Air BNB just south of the center of the city near the parque de Santa Ana.

I'd really love suggestions on the following:

- Finding a neighborhood/area that we want to rent in - something walkable as we won't have a car when we move. Also, obviously, something nice! We are pretty laid back but also like to be part of the community. (I will be working from home when we move and we have a medium dog that we will bring with us). It's just the two of us and the dog and we are looking to live simply.

- Getting a feel of the city

- Any "must sees" or "must do's" near the center that we should check out while we are there!

Any tips about neighborhoods to check out for homes would be much appreciated!

15 replies to this topic
Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for first trip in Merida?

You write as if your mind is made up, yes?Have you visited Merida before? Usually folks rent in a town for 6 months to see both seasons...I know Phoenix can get very hot, can you stand high humidity?

When I was looking for a house there I contacted several brokers and they took me around in their cars and I paid them gas money ( gas is almost $4.00 a US gallon )..I preferred the Santiago District...When do you think you will be getting a Temporary Resident Visa, that has to be started in the Mexican Counsel nearest your home in the US.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,843 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for first trip in Merida?

The Santa Ana area would be one of my picks. Santiago area attracts many of the expats so prices are often higher. The Santa Ana area is still a good easy walk to the center of town plus has the advantage of being very near the Paseo Montejo which is one of my favorite area. It also has excellent transportation and a good choice of nearby restaurants.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,603 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for first trip in Merida?

IMO, the house and street matter more than the particular neighbourhood, per se, at least if we are comparing Santa Ana and Santiago. Both are well located and have a similar vibe. However, I'd take a nice house in Santiago over a not-so-nice house in Santa Ana. Likewise, i'd take a house on a quiet, well-kept street in Santa Ana over a house on a Santiago street that has a lot of abandoned properties and garbage. I'd even go south to La Ermita and San Sebastian and east over to La Mejorada if the house and street were nice. I'm sure on your initial trip you'll be able to explore all the neighbourhoods of the Centro and you'll probably notice that the look can change drastically from block-to-block. Hence, I'd consider how far a walk you would want to be from the heart of the Centro (say Plaza Grande to Santa Lucia), which will depend on how often you plan to be in the Centro, your mobility, your tolerance for heat, and then look anywhere within that radius. You can also look in neighbourhoods outside of the Centro - Garcia Gineres, Itzimná, Mexico, Campestre, too many to name, really - but those are less walkable and more oriented around the car.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for first trip in Merida?

My husband and I actually moved here from Florida a few months ago and live in the Santiago neighborhood and rent our home which we found on VRBO. The owner lives here in Merida. We’re in our 50’s/60’s. It’s just the two of us and we have no car here. We’ve found that it’s very easy to walk to all of our favorite restaurants and even a gym that’s close by. There are also several great coffee places, a spa and a small grocery store close by. If we need to make a “major” grocery store run, we just use Uber and have no problems.

We did make several trips to Merida at different times of the year before we decided to move here. My husband travels a lot to the states for work and I stay home here in Merida. I feel totally safe here and get out a good bit on my own.

Moving to a different country is not for everyone, but we found that it works for us.

Good luck with your move!

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for first trip in Merida?

I am assuming you - or you husband-are fluent in the Spanish language be cause the procces of renting for a long period or buying a property in the Yucatán State or Any State in México are subject To the local law and require a process different than the nationals.So understanding the Castilian-or Spanish - language is ,if not essential ,can be a plus

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for first trip in Merida?

I don't understand this post at all, if the OP had stated " my husband is from Merida and we are moving there" I could understand but your first line states: ""Hello! My husband and I are planning on moving to Merida after a lot of research. "" and her title reads: ""Tips for first trip in Merida""...Why would anyone decide to pickup lock,stock and barrel and decide to move not to just a foreign country but to basically weather opposites...For example in July your going from a dry heat and only 15% humidity to a wet heat with 100% and from a 15% chance of rain with 1/2 an inch per month to a 50% chance of rain and 4" a month...I just don't get it..........suerte

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
1 post
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for first trip in Merida?

It is amazing she asks simple questions and instead of answering she get judged. If you can't answer her question keep your comments to yourself.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for first trip in Merida?

Scuba girl, I am not judging her, just making some points , there have been questions asked by poster 1 that she has not come back and answered, just sometimes when it is a newbies Number 1 post and does not return they are trolls...At least you have 48 reviews.........

Chicago IL
Level Contributor
403 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips for first trip in Merida?

I suggest you check out the Merida English Library. That is a gathering spot for many expats. They can give you first-hand knowledge of the best neighborhoods. Santa Ana is nice but you will find it is one of the more expensive areas to rent it as well. Having a car in Merida is actually a negative, to me. Traffic there stinks! Taxis are reasonable and easy to find. The bus system is good and inexpensive and for longer trips you can always to a ADO bus.

We LOVED Merida and have it on our list of potential retirement places too. It is less than 40 min from the beach when you have had it with summer humidity and need to get away. Plus you will find many rentals have plunge pools even in the lower end of rental ranges.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips for first trip in Merida?

Our minds are mostly made up, visiting will be the last step to confirm that this is right choice for us. We will begin with a tourist visa and then decide what we want to do from there. Thank you for the tip about going around with a broker!

Reply to: Tips for first trip in Merida?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Merida